1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World Wetlands Day 2 February FREE ENTRY

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by Dottydormouse, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Dottydormouse

Dottydormouse Member

From website - it can be quite expensive if you are taking a family but a great chance to take close ups of birds and there should still be quite a lot of whooper swans around at some of the centres. Usually with a great caf and some have heated hides!!

On Friday 2 February, the 10th annual World Wetlands Day will be celebrated by wetland conservation organisations and communities across the globe. Leading UK wetland charity, the Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust (WWT) will mark the occasion with FREE entry to all its centres.

guess I should put the url in doh!!

wwt site

2. Rustyknight

Rustyknight Well-Known Member

I might have the chance on getting to Slimbridge for this, and might even have a new lens to play with! :)

I went last year (and didn't begrudge the entrance fee at all) and it was a great day!

3. mike_j

mike_j Well-Known Member

Thanks for that pointer, we will try to get to Welney if the weather is half decent.

4. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Might see you there then - I'll be the one with my gear in a granny shopping trolley! Unless, of course, I've got it set up for taking photographs.

(Gear = Heavy Benbo, Manfrotto #393 gimbal head, EOS 30D, EF 300 f2.8L 1.4x.)

5. mike_j

mike_j Well-Known Member

Welney washlands were as flooded as far as I have ever seen them - an inland sea. Only the main hide was open and the poor girl doing the swan feed had to walk along a platform under a foot or more of water with the swans swimming up to the wheelbarrow and helping themselves.

[​IMG]

6. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I was at the very far end of the main hide. Am now sorting through ~400 images, many worth keeping, but quite a few failures. A very enjoyable day, and it's clear that the birds know where the restaurant is, and when feeding time is approaching. Stayed long enough to get several attempts at the glorious sunset, and through a long lens...

Our first visit last Sunday to Welches Dam RSPB reserve, a few miles to the south on the other side, was very disappointing. I didn't even bother getting my big lens out of its case then. We needed a 20x telescope just to see anything. Still today made up for that and it was good to talk to several other photographers, and to learn about other areas worth visiting.