1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Woe is me!

Discussion in 'Leica Camera Chat' started by Grierson, Jun 14, 2018 at 6:55 PM.

1. Grierson

Grierson Well-Known Member

Just found out that my M9 has a corroded sensor just ten months after Leica have ‘pulled’ the free replacement policy. Descision time. Spend £950, yes that’s right £950, for a replacement or not?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018 at 7:07 PM
  2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Is your particular camera less than 6 years old and did you buy it from a trader? If so you might have a Sale of Goods Act claim On the basis Leica have admitted an inherent fault. Bear in mind I'm no lawyer.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  3. Grierson

Thanks for that Andrew. Unfortunately I bought the camera from ffordes c. 5 years ago and in addition I have no way of checking it’s age. (I’ve not seen published any serial number/age listings for cameras after the M6)

4. graham_mouat

graham_mouat Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that. I thought mine was OK but this time last year when the end of free sensor replacement was announced had it checked at Leica Store Manchester and they confirmed it was beginning to corrode. I had a new sensor at no cost, but I'm not sure what I would have done in your position. Leica will still replace sensors without charge on cameras less than 5 years old, but I presume yours is older than that. If so then I guess your choices will be use it as is, sell it as is (but that seems to hit the value pretty hard), pay for the replacement (which I understand includes a very comprehensive service of the camera and it should come back working like a new camera) or make use of the trade up offer that Leica announced when the free sensor replacement ended.

More info here:

https://en.leica-camera.com/World-o...ica-M9-M9-P-M-Monochrom-and-M-E-camera-models

5. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Well, the sensor on mine was replaced "free", though there was a substantial charge, 180€ as far as I recall, which I never did figure out. Even at 950€ I'd account a rebuilt, guaranteed M9 as a better bet than any of the alternatives, but it's a very personal choice.

FWIW I found that the corrosion was invisible with fast lenses at wide apertures: only at f/4 and smaller did it start to show up, worse and worse.

Cheers,

R.

6. Grierson

Thanks for comments. I do not want to sell the camera and had I not just decided to check with a shot of the sky at f16 I would never have known of the issue looking at my day to day images. However I assume it will get worse so I think I will have to bite the bullet and find the money.

7. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Or shoot wide open for another year -- it's what I did (same sky problem). Gives you time to save up!

Cheers,

R.

8. Grierson

Thank you Roger!