1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

With Hindsight.....

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Michael B, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Michael B

Michael B Active Member

Olympus OMD M10, 40-150 mm 5.6 (not Pro)

Daughter took new nervous horse to Dressage. No time to prepare and only 2 mins "in the ring" Obviously No flash! Indoor arena-bad natural light through dirty skylights. I set WB at cloudy, cranked the ISO up to 400 and had the lens wide open. Result with a moving (trotting, not full gallop!) horse were blurred images -a mix of low shutter speed and probably my movement despite image stabilisation. Colours were remarkably accurate. With my hindsight I think I should have cranked the ISO much further -it seems to go up to about 20,000! Then I wondered if I could have set the shutter speed to say 125 and cranked up the image in Lightroom. (It was set to Aperture priority wide open as I just wanted "light")

What should I have done?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

ISO 3200 would have helped, 6400 if your camera is good that high and higher if you need to get a minimum of 200th Shutter speed. The reciprocal of the focal length rule is really about camera shake but you need to freeze movement and that needs higher than 125. If you have Auto ISO set the aperture at 5.6 and the shutter at 250 and see what you get for the ISO.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

For that situation I'd start at 1/250 for the exposure time in some test shots. It is surprising how good modern cameras are at high ISO. Stay away from the "extended" values though.

4. Michael B

Michael B Active Member

Thanks for your help. (Horse won, so should be an opportunity to have another go!)