1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wish me luck!

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by gray1720, Aug 4, 2018.

1. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Once cricket tea has finished cooking I am planning to have a bash at developing some film this evening. It'll be the first time I've ever done it at home, and the first time I've ever tried to get 120 onto the spiral and into a tank in a change bag, so I am going to start with two found films of extremely uncertain vintage, and stand develop in 1:100 Rodinal for an hour.

The usual darkroom I have access to is off limits at the mo, and I've not got the downstairs bog converted yet...

Adrian

Zou, John Farrell and steveandthedogs like this.
  2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Adrian,

Why stand development? Bromide streamers/bromide drag can be a problem.

But good luck anyway.

Cheers,

R.

3. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Can be?

He said, wandering off muttering.

S

Roger Hicks likes this.
  4. gray1720

Because of extremely advanced age - I suspect they may be fifty years plus, and will probably have no latent image left, but a friend has the same curiosity about found film as me...

Only half a label on one film, so I can tell you one is a *N Lumiere *cromatique, which doubtless is no help at all.

Adrian

5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Tip for getting 120 into a spiral that has always worked for me: break the seal and immediately roll the backing paper in reverse as tightly as possible until you reach the film end then keep rolling with the film trapped in the reversed backing paper. Back wind around half the film then let it unroll gently and it should slip into the spiral fairly easily. I've found this works for Patterson spirals as well as stainless steel.

6. Roger Hicks

Dear Adrian,

I'd go for two-bath myself. MUCH more reliable than stand.

Cheers,

R.

7. gray1720

Well, the film turns out to have been Lumiere Altipan (I shall be very disppointed if you can't give me chapter and verse, Roger, and if you did smileys I'd have put a cheeky grin at the end of that statement because I am being cheeky), but no other details on the paper as to speed, date etc. How boring.

But...

BUT...

I have an image! There is definitely a frame with an image at one end of the film - whether there are any others I don't know yet as it is still washing, but I'm really quite startled especially as the spool was quite badly rusted inside the paper, must have got damp at some point.

A very brief google make stwo bath sound quite interesting - Rodinal is what I had that could be easily made up, as unexpectedly having* to bake for a cricket tea has disrupted my plands rather - any idea how easy it is to get hold of the chemicals these days? As an ex-chemist I might even get SWMBO interested...

WIll post a quick and dirty picture when I get it drying...

Adrian

*OK, I don't have to but we have a new kitchen and it was the perfect opportunity to try the oven out and besides, I like baking and haven't done so in far, far too long.

Zou likes this.
  8. Roger Hicks

Dear Adrian,

Sorry, haven't the faintest idea. Silverprint or RK should be able to help, though: it's all pretty basic. Have you a half-decent analytical balance? Half-decent is all you need.

And congratulations on getting an image!

Cheers,

R.

9. gray1720

The out-laws have almost certainly got one... Argh, I might be hooked again!

A very poor shot of the image - currently hanging up to dry in the back passage (it's a passageway at the rear of the house, what else could I call it?).

*Attached as a thumbnail as it's a bit big*

As soon as I get a mo to scan it, I will put it up. I have to say, I don't think it is as interesting as my best one from a found film:
    [​IMG]Stonehenge by gray1720, on Flickr

Adrian

Attached Files:

Geren, Zou, steveandthedogs and 2 others like this.
  10. gray1720

So.... now I just have one more roll of found film (8 poses 6x9 - no other clues until I unroll the backing paper), one roll of Rerapan 127, one roll of FP4 120, and one roll of Kentmere 100 35mm to develop, and I have my B&W backlog out of the way... One roll at a time as I can't fit the big tank into my changing bag.

Oh to have a bit of film buying discipline and not be such an infernal muddler!

Adrian

EightBitTony, peterba and Roger Hicks like this.
  11. gray1720

Well, here it is... No clues as to where, sadly.

Adrian

Attached Files:

Zou, EightBitTony and steveandthedogs like this.
  12. gray1720

Oooh! Oooh! High excitement! Both the French film (Rolla RX3 Pan, whatever the flip that is) and the Verichrome Pan from the VP Twin have images on! The Verichrome has suffered from the backing paper sticking to the emulsion side, and the negs are so small I can't really see until I scan them, but the Rolla has some kind of car on it, defintely French - maybe a Renault 4CV but I'll have a better idea once I finish washing it.

ETA - actually the Verichrome is OK, the backing paper must have stuck to the other side. There's about ten frames that should scan OK, despite the film being rolled to the end it looks as though it was never used.

The Rolla has suffered a lot more, some of it is beyond manky, but I reckon I can get four frames scanned OK. Two are surely a Renault 4CV though the photographer has suffered from the old curse of rectangular subject - square frame!

Random fact found found whilst looking up the 4CV - when first launched in 1947 it was nicknamed the "lump of butter" owing to its blobby shape and the first ones being painted with leftover sand-yellow paint from the Afrika Korps.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Renault_4CV_BW_2.JPG

Adrian

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Zou and steveandthedogs like this.
  13. gray1720

...and here are the images from the roll of Rolla. Given the usual success rate with found films (I've even had Kodak Gold with nothing but brown splurge on), I've now got images from three in a row, which is quite startling. So long as I don't get failures with films I've shot (next stage of teh project).

I must ask the chap who asked me to develop the two what the cameras were - probably wacky French Bakelite confections (not that that is a bad thing - I have a soft spot for things like the Ultrafex Himalaya, which looks like something out of the Ann Summers catalogue, and has hilarious lens flare, and the Photax Blinde with it's screw-out lens).

Adrian

Attached Files:

14. steveandthedogs

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018 at 8:24 AM
  15. Roger Hicks

Almost 50 years ago my girlfriend bought a 4CV for a fiver. It never ran, though. Once, when I was trying to start it with the handle, it was in gear and there was so little compression that I found I was was winding the whole car forwards. Just after we broke up (after being together 4 years!) her father bought her a Mini Moke. Another girlfriend bought a (running) split-screen Morris Minor, aka Jellymould, for £12:10s. Years later I bought a Jellymould Traveller but it succumbed to dry rot and a thrown con-rod.

Cheers,

R.

16. gray1720

...and here's some from the VP Twin. as you can see, a high-quality camera with some really high quality framing! My scanner doesn't recognise or have inserts for 127 film, so scanning them was a bit of an arse. Hmm, do I waste on of my rolls of 127 in it, or do I keep them for better (the Certo Dolly)
    or wackier (Purma Speed) cameras?

Adrian

Attached Files:

steveandthedogs likes this.
  17. steveandthedogs

Certo!

S

18. gray1720

Thought you might say that, Steve! The Dolly is lovely, but I've shot several films with it (in fact one is in my queue at the mo). I'd still like to put one more through the Purma Speed - as far as I can tell I'm the only person alive ever to have used one, unlike the Special.

Adrian

steveandthedogs likes this.
  19. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Can you prove that? That you're alive, I mean? ;)

peterba likes this.
  20. steveandthedogs

Alive, yes. It's just Adrian's sanity I'm beginning to doubt!

S

peterba likes this.