1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 10

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by SXH, Jun 24, 2019.

1. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I am about to download/install the latest W10 features upgrade. To quote a certain Captain, "I may be some time".

More news as and when...

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

We're sending out the recovery sleighs for you now... ;)

3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

ETA 3 hours... 3 hours 20 minutes... nearly done!... 12 minutes...

4. saxacat

saxacat Well-Known Member

Lucky you. The latest Win 10 update is apparently not compatible with my chipset, specifically the RAID drivers.

AMD have released an update, but not for my chipset; after emailing AMD, it looks like they are not going to bother updating the drivers for my chipset; so end of the road for Win 10 updates for me :(

5. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Quick update: for the last hour or so, it has been claiming the download is at 99%.
    But Task Manager tells me that Windows Update is running and using up to 60% memory and 50%CPU.
    They really need to work on their update user friendliness!

6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

What they could do is open a text box and provide a rolling report of the activity. Oh. Hang on! Isn't that what we used to do 40 years ago? :confused:

7. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

When I see threads like this , I'm thankful I'm still using Win 7.

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I followed a van the other day the company was Apple Windows,

9. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I have a laptop I use for when travelling so it only gets used every few months. I have to remember to force updates the day before I need it to ensure it'll work when I'm in a meeting. The desk top is OK, because it is always on it'll download over night and update smoothly.

10. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Well, it's done!
    Started at 09:45
    Download started at 10:06
    Download hit 99% at about 11:00 and stuck. Left it alone as TaskManager showed update activity.
    Update failed between 13:30 and 14:00, with a try again button.
    Started again at 14:00, after a couple of minutes it decided the download was finished and started the Install.
    100% install by 17:15 and we started the Restart palaver.
    After multiple restarts, I could log in by 18:00.
    Some things have changed, so now I need to check all my apps still work...

saxacat likes this.
  11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I'd like to tell you how long it took to upgrade from MacOS High Sierra to MacOS Mojave, but I can't remember. I did it four times, on separate computers and none of them took anything like 8 hours and that is a complete refresh of the OS. Glad I don't have to do Windows four times.

12. PeteRob

Something is not right. Look up system file checker - it will test and repair your windows. installation.

13. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Somewhere between 1 hour 30 to 40 mins to restart on my fairly modern laptop . The C drive is SSD.

14. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

The 99% hang and fail is a known problem. Can happen on even the best machines.
    The download phase was about an hour; with my slowish BT broadband that's not bad for 3-4GB. The installation itself took a while, but my desktop is a few years old and a bit low on memory. Though, according to TaskManager, it was only using about 50%.

15. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

About 90-100 minutes to download and install on a 8-10 mps connection. I also noted CPU usage at 90% plus in some of the install stages, which is why I always download and install updates at a time convenient to me.

I've looked up what they have changed and none of it appears relevant to the way my PC is used.

16. saxacat

Looking for advice.

Does anyone on the forum use the RAID facility that is built in to Windows 10?

I currently have 2 hard drives configured in RAID 1, using the RAID facility built in to my motherboard. As I mentioned in an earlier post, it seems AMD will not be updating my chipset drivers to provide compatibility with the latest Win10 six monthly update, so I looking at other options.

My current set up seems fairly stable, I've been running it since 2013; on an average of once a year, the RAID will fail and need rebuilding which the AMD facility does successfully, if slowly.

However, I want to try and keep up with Win 10 updates so I'm trying to see what options are open to me.

Thanks

Eddie

17. PeteRob

Sorry, no idea. I thought RAID controllers were always separate hardware that went with the rack of disks. Do you need RAID? As far as I understood it was for keeping critical systems going when a disk went down and not for the faint-hearted. I'm guessing that, if your press ahead with updates, rather than not install, they disable your RAID system. Long term, not installing updates risks that something else stops working, plus they continuously fix security issues. It is a shame that Microsoft don't bundle a better back-up tool. I keep meaning to buy something like Acronis True Image for my desktop.

18. saxacat

After a guy at work lost all his family photos due to a hard drive failure, I've always been a bit paranoid about losing my photos, etc...

I use RAID as part of my system to try and prevent any data loss. So I use RAID 1 to mirror my main drive; I also use Windows backup and do hourly incremental backups to a 3rd internal hard drive; finally, every couple of months I do a full data backup to an external drive.

Maybe a bit OTT for what's on the PC, but a lot of it is personal stuff that would be hard to replace.

I believe a lot of motherboards have RAID options built in to them, albeit not as all singing and dancing as professional RAID systems.

This is what Windows is telling me; on looking in the 'Learn more' section it tells me that the AMD RAID driver issue has been resolved with the AMD update, which unfortunately is not suitable for my motherboard, so I am guessing that this will mean no subsequent updates will be compatible either.

win 10 update.JPG

19. PeteRob

I think the features update is more to do with look and feel rather than the system. It is the ordinary updates that fix security issues that are important to have so you should be alright. I've no idea what the new features are. I was away with my laptop the last couple of days and updated it before hand but I didn't notice anything different. But I do only use the desktop layout with MS office.

You certainly take care! I've had hard disks fail and losing data is not fun.

20. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I find that 1903 seems to run a bit faster. Though that may be because it spent an age tidying things up!