1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 10 updates

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by IvorETower, Sep 4, 2019.

1. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

I've got an old laptop running Windows 10 version 1703. It won't update despite numerous tries including doing the factory re-install. It is still trying to install updates to 1703 rather than going straight to a later version, eg 1903. Does anyone know if there is a way to force this through or sort out an install of 1903 or whatever the latest version is? I have a little computer knowledge so can understand some basic techie-type instructions, but nothing over-complicated. I've tried the Update "troubleshooter" but it has no effect, neither has the recovery option of going back to how it was when new.

I've got a netbook with similar issues although that trues to install but fails after getting stuck on the green "Installing updates" screen, with 0% installed showing for over 2 hours before it "bombs out"; it's only a 32GB solid state hard drive whereas the old main laptop has 4GB of memory and a 1TB hard drive that is almost empty

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  3. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Does your laptop meet the system requirements for the update? If not this may prevent the update being loaded.

Do you need the update?

4. IvorETower

It meets the requirements easily. I suppose I need the update as I got a warning message saying that the current version would be unsupported from sometime early 2020

5. davidh

davidh Well-Known Member

The Update Assistant will often give a better reason the upgrade can't occur, than simply not showing in the Windows Update list.

6. saxacat

saxacat Well-Known Member

Windows will not only need the laptop to be a certain spec, it needs all the drivers on the laptop to be compatible with the update, (I've had this issue of non-compatible drivers on my desktop).

The Update Assistant previously posted 'should' highlight any issues.

The following link lists known issues with each update and in some cases solutions to the problem.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-1709

7. IvorETower

Still; having issues with it. I downloaded the upgrade tool assistant thingy onto a USB stick on my main desktop computer and ran it to perform the update on the netbook, and it failed ! Said it could not run when there was already a Windows 10 installation present. The netbook keeps trying to download updates and install them but fails every time so I will just carry on using it "as-is"

8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Did you try running the system file checker?

9. IvorETower

I've tried just about everything, yes, including the Troubleshooter several times

10. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Not sure if this will help but I had a similar problem on my desktop computer.

Two years ago I bought a new computer from Chillblast. All worked perfectly except that it refused to update from Windows version 1703 to version 1803. It went through the update process as if all was ok, then right at the end said Reverting to Previous Version. It would not update to V1803.

I contacted Chillblast who emailed me straight back saying they were aware of the problem but had a fix. They gave me a link to a downloadable zip file along with instructions on what to do (I'm not very computer literate). I did as they said and since then all has worked perfectly.

11. saxacat

I could be wrong, but I suspect the upgrade assistant tool needs to be run from the hard drive with the OS on.

12. IvorETower

it's a netbook with only 32GB "hard drive" so the upgrade assistant is running from the 32GB drive.

Interestingly (?) the latest attempt has resulted in a green screen after reboot with the "upgrading,m this will take a long time" message and after at least 2 hours on the 0% complete stage, the "old" login has re-appeared and of course, the update has not taken place :-(

Going to try the media creation tool again now....

13. IvorETower

It's doing the same thing with Media Creation Tool - goes through the motions but sticks at 0% on the update green screen

14. saxacat

Sorry, not been able to offer any workable solutions.

I can only think that there may be some hardware or software (a component driver) that is not compatible with the update. You could try and ensure that all the firmware and drivers are up to date, and see if that identifies anything.

However, some manufacturers, once a device gets too old will no longer update its software, even if they know it is no longer compatible with Windows. I've recently had this problem with a component on my motherboard; AMD had no intentions of issuing an update, The only way I could install Windows 10 1903 was by disabling the component.

This article covers a similar situation, not sure if it will provide much help.

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...ow-can-i-force-my-windows-10-laptop-to-update

15. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised if Win 10 can run, and carry out updates on a 32GB drive.

Windows 10 system requirements
    • Latest OS: Make sure you're running the latest version—either Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update. ...
    • Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC.
    • RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit.
    • Hard disk space: 16 GB for 32-bit OS or 20 GB for 64-bit OS.
    • Graphics card: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver.
    That's the minimum required to run it. But in order to update it, Windows 10 makes copies of the previous versions and keeps lots of update files around, I would expect 32GB to go very quickly.

My c:\windows directory is 25GB. The update itself will be large, and then you need space to deal with it during the update. How much free space do you have on C:\ ?

On both machines have you looked at the disk cleanup option? Right click in Explorer on the drive letter, choose properties, then use Disk Cleanup, and it'll let you remove previous versions, patches, and other system files if necessary.

Also, as far as I know, Windows is a rolling update, you can't skip straight to 1903, you have to let it roll through the others.

16. EightBitTony

17. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

My Windows tablet manages with 32GB and is at the latest version but it did require that I allow it to delete previous versions. As I use it only for car manuals I really don't care whether it is up to date or not, and I can live without it having internet access. It is 32bit but, yes it is possible to run 1903 on a 32GB drive.

18. EightBitTony

Then I am surprised, as promised :)

19. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Today it has updated to 2019-09 (I think that is right)

I suspect the version of Windows may make a difference, mine is Windows 10 Home 32 bit.

20. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

You've probably had the cumulative update for September which is that date. 1909 as a Windows version hasn't appeared yet (unless you're a Windows insider beta tester) - Running Winver from the command prompt will show the correct version number.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019