1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Win10 updates, and metered connections

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by Malcolm_Stewart, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I'm very definitely on a metered connection for my Internet, and according to the notes written by Microsoft, their Win10 downloads aren't delivered over a metered connection. What options do I have? (Desktop PC, not a laptop.)

(I thought landline connections via telephone cable, a router and local WiFi were metered as well?...) Puzzled., again...

Thanks for any insight.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how this works. Could be that it just doesn't run automatically but I can't see how it knows about a metered connection unless you tell it in some way.

I regularly run winupdate for someone who has a wired connection with a fixed data limit. I have a personal wifi for travel and that has a monthly limit. I use that to do my laptop.

In both cases the computers are not much used, so I will do a manual update when I turn them on.

My desktop is on unless I am away and that updates automatically - our wired plan has no data limit.

I'm pretty sure my laptop will auto-update off the personal wifi if it happens to be on.

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

A metered connection is one where you pay by the GB, if you don't have a download limit or have a large monthly allowance, irrespective of whether it is ADSL, fibre, cable etc. is, in Microsoft terms, unmetered.

4. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I'm also on a landline connection via copper telephone cable, with a broadband supplier that has no limit on downloads (so 'unmetered'). But the speed (maximum c. 10 mps) is better during the day and late a night that between 5 pm and 9 pm.

The following is based upon my experience exploring Windows 10 during the first few weeks of using it.
    Possibly the Microsoft website may be more helpful.

See the Windows 10 options in 'Windows Settings / Update & Security / Advanced Options'
    The automatic download of updates on a metered connection is possible, but the default appears to be OFF.
    I'd find this, and try changing it to ON.

Also, see 'Windows Settings / Update & Security / Change active hours': this is where you tell Windows the hours of the day (up to a maximum of 18) during which Windows cannot process and install updates without asking you first.
    My 'active hours' are set for 8 am to 2 am, so if a restart is needed I get to say 'do it now' at a time the suits me.

You could try setting this so that the non-'active hours' are only at a time when you can get the best possible download speed. I am not on a metered connection, and use it to prevent automatic downloads and restarts at inconvenient times - if inside the defined 'active hours' Windows 10 warns me there are downloads available and asks me to do them now or wait. I don't know if this will work on a metered connection, but it's worth a try.

Note - whatever the active hours settings, Windows appears to automatically download some 'critical' or 'security' updates, but will still ask before restarting the PC to install them. Other software updates appear to only download and install after you have said yes.

5. davidh

davidh Well-Known Member

A metered connection for W10 will by default only include integrated mobile broadband (ie your computer has a SIM in it). It can be changed for other network connections by Settings->Network & Internet->(pick relevant device - Ethernet/WiFi)->Set as metered connection.

You can also set a datalimit on the connection too, as well as see what programs are consuming your data.

6. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Thanks all, I'll have a dig around the inner parts of Win10, and see if I can change some settings. I'm getting fed up with sluggishness at disparate times, and seemingly unrelated to how many windows are open etc.

7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It is important to keep Win 10, including Windows Defender, up-to-date. It is a bit of a nuisance but they do tend to keep to a schedule so it is more or less the same day every month and you can control the timing (post #4).

If your wired internet connection is poor it might be the cause of the sluggishness. If you have a 4G phone signal then I'd suggest to look at a personal wifi option. I have a 32 GB a month EE system, and I've never been near the limit (you buy more) even using it exclusively for a month. I swapped my phone to a SIM-only contract and added this little 4G modem, both for only £1 a month more total than I was paying for the mobile phone contract. The size of a cigarette packet it can support up to 10 devices, has a range of about 30' and even with a poor one or no "bar" signal is adequate for browsing. With a "4 bar" signal it is blistering fast (70 MPS down / 50 MPS up) cf my fibre to cabinet (12/2) land-line. I use it when travelling/on holiday and at home if I'm suffering a slow land-line connection. It frees me from the risks, and bundled advertising, of using wi-fi hot spots. It is USB powered, will run for 4 hours on a full charge or all day from a computer USB socket.