1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Win10 has gobbled up my C drive

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by pixelpuffin, Mar 17, 2019.

1. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Sorry if this has been asked before

I have a Fujitsu Lifebook
    120GB SSD

It works fine, partly because I try to keep nothing on it.

It gets used for my sons homework (online) nothing is stored or saved on the laptop

I only use it for web browsing or viewing my pictures
    Again, hardly anything is on the machine itself. I checked earlier 223 pictures (448mb)

Besides Win10 OS 64bit
    There is AVG FREE running

That is all that's downloaded I looked earlier to see how much free space was left...12 GB!!

I'm struggling to work out how the OS can consume 106 GB

Can anyone explain what has gone wrong.
    The laptop updated itself on the 10/3/19 prior to which there was more than half spare storage on the C drive.

I'm completely baffled

2. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I have recently (reluctantly) switched to W10. The size of the Windows folder (including sub-folders) is just under 2.5GB, so something must be amiss on your machine.

First thought: do you have a mass of Windows update files hanging around? They're notorious for contributing to this type of problem. :(

3. peterba

A suggestion: have you tried a program called WinDirStat? It's very useful for investigating where disk space is being used. (and it's freeware!)

4. pixelpuffin

Thanks peterba for the reply.
    I'm at work now, but will chack out WinDirStat this evening

I'm not at all computer savvy - it's the reason why I keep nothing on the machine.

I honestly would have thought Windows 10 would have have been clever enough to clean itself after each update and discard unnecessary files.

I never touch MS apps, Edge, Cortana etc etc I don't even check emails on the laptop either. Fact is I hate Microsoft and much prefer the ease of using either my ancient iPhone 4S or if I can pry her fingers off....my partners iPad

Apple seems so easy compared to Microsoft - with their constant push to use their other offerings.

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Try the Win10 built in disk clean up tool - it is supposed to be in Settings > System > Storage.

peterba likes this.
  6. pixelpuffin

Hi PeteRob

I ran that twice last night
    Didn't remove much - less than half a GB!

:(

7. peterba

@pixelpuffin PeteRob's suggestion above looks good - I was unaware of that tool, since (as I said above) I've only just moved to W10.

On reflection, if you're not comfortable messing around with 'computer-ish' things, then I wouldn't bother with WinDirStat - it might be a little daunting, and it doesn't actually do anything, other than present information in a convenient form... leaving you to do the sorting out for yourself.

Therefore, I'd go with Pete's suggestion, instead. Just be careful to check that the box for emptying the Recycle Bin is NOT ticked, if you think there's any possibility that it might contain anything useful.

8. peterba

Ah... I've just seen your latest post. :oops:

Hmmm........ looks as though you might have to use WinDirStat after all.

9. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Another vote for WinDir Stat.

I sometimes have the same issue as the OP and it's usually legacy update files. In my case from TomTom rather than Windows (which is Win7 in my case). Another source of disk use comes from backing up Apple products (iPad or Iphone) using iTunes. that programme seems to keep far too many old back ups.

MickLL

10. pixelpuffin

With reference to MickLL post above, I too found Apple stuff - almost 400mb!!
    As I never use iTunes I deleted ALL Apple software, then ran Disk Cleanup.

As I say, there's nothing now on except a few 100 JPEG pictures, but tonight I shall remove onto USB stick and external storage disks.

I fully aware that 120gb drive is quite small these days, don't want the expense of buying bigger, so would rather have nothing stored on the C drive.

11. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Just ran WinDir Sat on my C: drive and here are the findings. What I found may help in deciding what's going on with your machine.

My drive is nominally 128GB but Win7 tells me that there are 111GB available (click the windows button and then 'computer').

I have 19gb free so that means I'm using 92Gb. Like you I try not to store anything on that drive.

Windows uses 38GB
    Users take 25GB
    hiberfilsys takes 12GB (a system file that stores things when the computer hibernates. Size depends on the amount of RAM you have)
    Programmes and programme data take 12GB
    All the rest 5GB

Look in users - that's where these legacy files lurk! At the moment 9GB of the 25GB usage is 'iphone back up' in three files of 3GB each. I could probably delete the older two with no harm done.

I didn't bother with all the rest of the user files - all I wanted was to give you a 'steer' on what WinDirSat gives you and where your problem might lie.

Good Luck
    MickLL

12. pixelpuffin

Thanks to everyone for replying
    I spoke with our IT guy at work earlier this morning - first time I've ever spoken with him and I've been here 6yrs!!

"No problem" he said
    "Drop it in and I'll take a look"

I can't ask for anything better, I'll update you all with the results.

Thanks again everyone

peterba likes this.
  13. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It is reasonably straightforward to dump a list of directory content sizes to a file with the "dir" command but you'd need some skill to write some code to pick out the biggest. I started to look see if it was more easily done with windows powershell. There are a number of published scripts but "more easily" doesn't come into it. I came across a couple of people reporting similar issues. Backup programs of some sort were implicated. I got the impression that SSD should be regarded more as WORM drives (write once, read many) for their speed of being read but any activity involving multiple overwriting should be directed to a conventional HDD.

14. peterba

Good - I'll be interested to hear what was causing the problerm. :)

15. davidh

davidh Well-Known Member

Did you do the 'Clean up system files' option? "Windows Update Files" and "Previous Windows Installation", neither of which are selected for cleaning by default are often a large user of space (though removing a previous windows installation will prevent you from rolling back in case of issues - but that normally only hangs around for about 30 days)

EightBitTony likes this.
  16. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

You think you have problems.... I have a "2-in1" which also functions as a Win10 tablet when the keyboard part is pulled off. 32GB hard drive and after the last big update in autumn 2018 I had about 10GB free. It's used for web browsing and watching video clips on "Youtube". No other progs/apps installed apart from my printer software, Chrome and acrobat reader.
    It's stopped updating due to hardly any free HD space. I've tried deleting files and it's only left me with about 2 GB free, so I used the Media Creation Tool on my desktop to try to update it. That still required more stuff to be deleted despite supposedly updating from a USB memory stick. I had to remove acrobat and chrome. It's sort-of-updated but still isn't right and I have now re-downloaded and installed chrome and acrobat again.

Seems that these 32GB netbooks really aren't suited to Windows 10 any more (or is it the other way round?)

17. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

I got rid of just over 9gb in old iPhone backups on iTunes.

18. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

Compress

19. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Win7 was notorious for keeping useless files, could fill a HD in few days. Win10 might have the same querks. I hope you find the source of the problem and get a fix for it