1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WIN Europe's top professional camera

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Damien_Demolder

Damien_Demolder Well-Known Member

We have a new competition, run in association with EISA (European Image and Sound Association) in which you can win the Professional Camera of the Year 2009. Obviously we haven't voted yet to determine what that camera will be - but you can be sure it will be a good one (last year it was the Canon EOS 1D lll).

The theme is Global Warming and you need to submit a series of 10 images. The top three from the UK will get published in AP in June, and the winner goes on to represent the UK at the European finals - a bit like Eurovison! The overall winner will go to Germany to the Photokina show to collect the award.

Go to the competitions page to find out more details.

damien

Unfortunately this one's only open to people that live in the UK.

2. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

It would take either a brave or a foolish man to bet against the D3. I'd love to win one, but I take it that for a competition like that the competition would be fierce.

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I'm prepared to bet quite a lot that the D3 won't be the Pro Camera of the Year 2009...

4. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

How much exactly? :rolleyes:

5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Could be a 'Blad I suppose, or the new Phase One/Mamiya thingy.

6. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

I agree.

7. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Nah, it'll be a Canon again - EOS 5DII / 3D maybe

It's usually a recently released model that nobody has really tested to any great extent anyway.

8. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I am prepared to bet that the RRP will be at least 3 times that of the E3

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Depends how much the bribes cost... :D

10. Damien_Demolder

It will be a camera tested by the EISA members, which includes us. It has to have been tested by at least 10 of the 16 magazines on the Photo Panel - so a 'blad or digital back is unlikely. The nomination and voting process takes place in June - so don't look too far ahead. All you have to do is look at the professional cameras we've tested in the last 8-9 months and guess what might be coming between now and May to see what will be in the running.

Also remember that loads of people will think the competition too stiff - which means you have a better chance of winning. Many of the EISA magazines don't have reader submissions as good as those we get in AP. Judging from the standards in the monthly competition here I'd say you all have a very good chance.

Cameras out boys and girls. ;)

11. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

Wow!!! There's a compliment and a half. :) Thanks Damien.

I might just have to give it a go now. :)

12. Damien_Demolder

Mr Hotblack sir, I think you should.

13. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Funnily enough I was thinking exactly that! I don't do the whole competition thing so it won't affect me, but I couldn't help but feel that it's a very tough brief to shoot in only six weeks. I'd want a year to put together a set of ten pictures for that, or several months at the very least. [Not to mention a good travel budget! ;-)]

Ah well, best of luck everyone. :)

14. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Agree with you Huw. Six weeks to compose and shoot a ten-photo series showing Global Warming. Unless you've already got shots that show it, the middle of April isn't really the time to shoot for it :(

15. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Exactly - the circumstances really seem stacked against it - certainly in the UK at any rate. But I suppose there's scope then for inventiveness and pushing the boat out a bit - sort out the men from the boys maybe. Tough though - very tough. [​IMG]

16. Damien_Demolder

Don't be such a Jessie. Set your camera to 1/60sec and all ten shots can be had in less than a second. :D

Global Warming can be represented by all sorts of things - even on a small scale. The causes, the effects, the evidence, how good it is, what is being done about it, the myth, the protests, the coverage etc.

17. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Yeah, come on Fen - stop being such a wimp! :D [​IMG]

If you'd gone out in that storm last week you might have had half the shots in the bag by now. ;-)

18. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

I'd of been in half the shots... as a hospital patient!

I'm not getting struck again for anybody!

19. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Ah, now your talking my language...

Although I'll probably myth the deadline... <font color="cfcfcf">I'm thorry, I have a lythp.

20. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Would a heat haze over Oxford be adequate? ;) :D (seen from ten viewpoints, perhaps.....) :)

The problem with winning such a prestige camera is affording the supporting lenses and other kit afterwards. It is bound NOT to be a Pentax this time around. :(