1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Win a Samsung DSLR

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by SPI_Course_Admin, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Garry McNamara

Garry McNamara Well-Known Member

Re: On Assignment

Yes you can certainly apply again - just the same as APOY, but the Sheffield one is all sorted. But don't give up - I'm not afeared of the north and they'll be more - remote Scottish Islands sounds good - have you a helicopter?!

With twelve assignments a year there are obviously only places for 36 participants every year and getting three photographers that can get to the same location on the same day and are interested in the subject means not everyone is suited to every shoot - it's worse than organising a curry night!

You might get asked, not be able to make it, but rest assured you go back into the hat (actually its a very large fedora Fen left in a pub in Wapping late one night after it was knocked off by Pete Doherty). Then one day when the planets coincide, the equinox is in its zenith and all your chakras are aligned the phone will ring.

As they say, ‘if we run it they will come...’

2. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Ooh are you organising those too? Ah, Ill definitely volunteer for that one :cool:

3. Garry McNamara

Funny you should say that but it is more in the kitchen, than the restaurant but who knows what happens after On Assignment shoots?

4. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Arran is not that remote, only 2 hours from Glasgow airport by public transport....but I do know somebody with a helicopter if you think Damien would stump up the expenses! :D

Graeme

5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Arran to a photographically minded, hill walker or climber is worth a lot more than 2 hours travelling from Glasgow. Souwester slabs comes to mind.
    Of course Arran is still an island, Skye is also worth a visit and now joined to the mainland. After the official meet you could also move up north to Torridon; the big ridges are mind blowing.

6. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Anything planned for the North or East Norfolk coast, before it goes under water for good? Some great wildlife opportunities there and some spectacular cathedrals.

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Could a bag full of Pro spec Nikon film and digital kit and a consequent lack of desire to either play with or win a Samsung DSLR have anything to do with it?

Seriously, I liked the old format where participants used their own gear but I am not really inspired by the current format.

8. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

I must say that I prefer the new level playing field that everyone using the same kit gives you.

9. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

But it's NOT a level playing field - anyone who has used the "given" camera is at a huge advantage, and anyone who has not been a (D)SLR user at all is at a massive disadvantage.

10. Dave_Cox

Dave_Cox Well-Known Member

I've entered more for the day out and experience rather than the potential prize. Perhaps owning a K10 would give an advantage, but we all set up and use our cameras in a different way, so using a 'stock out-of-box' unit may not give away as much as you think.

11. Ephemeral

Ephemeral Well-Known Member

My reason also - it would be a great experience to have

12. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Huge advantage? Don't talk [*****]. It's not a race, it's a day's assignment. Once you've figured out how to set either manual, aperture priority or shutter priority and how to change the shutter speed, aperture and exposure compensation that's all you need to know. There's an expeet there to guide and help too. The only way someone can have a huge advantage is by being a better photographer.

If someone has never used a DSLR before do not not think that their using a bridge or compact camera would put them at more of a disadvatage when they came up against someone with a D300 or a 5D with full kit bag of fast lenses?

Moderator: Mind the language please - this isn't the Lounge.

13. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Technically, yes. But photography is at least in part about seeing images ... "On Assignment" I find interesting because of what people see and manage to capture on the day, not about technical brilliance. Anyone struggling with unfamiliar kit, even an unfamiliar way of working, isn't going to "see" in the same way that someone comfortable with their own well-worn kit is.

Good kit doesn't make a photographer brilliant, and bad kit doesn't make him or her cr*p.

14. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

I have yet to see anyone in On Assignment complain about "struggling with their kit". I also fail to see how the type of camera will affect how a photographer will "see" a picture as surely they can "see" it without a camera at all. What I do see though is how the type of equipment will either enable of hamper the photographer being able to capture the picture they "see".

It's also not about having good kit, it's about having the same kit. You seem to completely misunderstand the meaning of the term "level the playing field". It isn't about making everything equal, it's about giving all the competitors the same opportunity. Giving all three photographers the same kit levels the playing field just as giving all drivers the same specced car would level the playing field in Formula 1. It would then come down to ability and luck. Whether that ability is through natural talent, experience or a combination of both is irrelevent.

15. Bettina

Bettina Well-Known Member

I won a comp a while back where we were all given the same camera - a Nikon. Shock horror!!! Everyone only had ten mins. Thing is, if you've used any kind of SLR before, it should be a doddle. A photographer makes the picture. And I'm sure the friendly chaps from AP will be able to sort out any technical problems and give them a brief intro in to the camera.

16. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

And didn't your image taken with an unfamiliar camera win that final of that comp and get turned into a cover shot Bettina?

17. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

If you turn off the LCD screen on the back, and stick with the same ISO all day there is no difference between a DSLR and a film SLR. Particularly with "On Assignment" where you are shooting JPG and don't do any editing.

So any difference* just comes down to familiarity with the specific camers. And, as I found when I did it, it takes about 1 mins to find out where the controls you needs are (expoure controls), and another 10 mins to get used to reaching for them where they are nstead of where you are used to hem being!. So yes- the field is pretty level after the first 11 minutes.

*My assumption here is that people turning up for one of these are reasonably familiar with SLR type cameras, but to be fair as long as you know what an aperture is and what shutter speed is, I think my argument would be valid for a compact of MF user too.

18. Garry McNamara

Hi Geoff, On Assignment is really about the assignment so the kit is not a huge aspect of it. I've had many assignments over the years that had me using an unfamiliar camera at short notice - working out how to use a Fuji 6x17 on a five hour flight comes to mind but it was the assignment and the pictures that were important and assignments do throw up challenges.

The old format had a few limitations too - it was shot on colour transparency, so if you were a keen black and white photographer or didn’t use that brand it might have been quite off putting. Now you can shoot black and white and vary colour.

I see the beauty of On Assignment as the assignment – a chance to grips with a challenging situation. So far on every shoot I have been on at least one of the three photographers had never shot digital before, in the night South Bank shoot and the Croydon shoot those photographers won! In this months none of the photographers had any experience in the field we were working and they all had a great time. Here are a few emails I receive from that shoot –

‘Please pass on my thanks to Garry for all the help and advice that he passed on to us and tell him that you have fired me with enthusiasm for portraiture. I have even gone so far as to arrange some sessions’

‘I took such a lot away with me this afternoon, I must have been smiling all the way back to Preston. It was a wonderful experience, I wouldn't have missed it for the world.’

‘Please pass on my thanks to Didi, and to Garry for giving me the confidence to make my first tentative steps down a photography route I have previously only dreamt of being able to do.’

It’s one of the most enjoyable things I do as a teacher so come along anyway, enjoy a fun day, hopefully learn something new and I’m sure if you win lots of charities and community groups out there will make good use of your prize!

Garry

19. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

I love challenges even if they take me out of my comfort zone.

20. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Far more tactfully put than me, and you've perfectly described the reason why I've applied, to be challenged photographically.