1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Win a Leica M

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Guilhelmus Pingebat, Oct 5, 2014.

1. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Nigel, unless my calculator is defective (I'm using the one between my ears, btw) AP's sales are down about 90% from their all-time peak but the BJP's are down about 40%, assuming I've remembered the all-time records correctly, which may not be the case. However, what is worrying to me is that the last time I looked at the numbers (cannot remember if it was one or two years ago) the BJ was pretty much where it is now but AP has declined a bit more.

Now it could be that I was looking at Benn's and these are PG's nos. which may be measured in a different way. But another measure would be Practical Photography's all time record which from memory was just below or just above 80K or am I misremembering that? Did they beat 100K briefly? Look at their numbers now. Look at AP's nos. now and think back to your peak. Multiply your numbers x4 now and your peak nos x4, compare with PP's monthly. {I'm sure you've done this from time to time.}

I wish it wasn't so. I'm doing my best to talk AP up when judging or lecturing, especially mentioning the current cover comp. Sometimes if there's time I do a straw poll to find out what people are reading. The replies seem to be very few read photo mags at all and then its mostly the digital monthlies. At my last club visit there was a guy reading the latest AP in row 2 and I was talking in the break with another member who had several hundred back copies in his shed!

It is tough out there; money is tight and there is a lot of competition for people's free attention time which itself may be shrinking because of the need to have two jobs or work extra hours to keep earnings levels up. Despite electronic media, there are a lot of photo publications around and a lot of low volume, high cover price, fashion/art mags, who graze across photography. Then there's Willie's free newspaper: that's at just about every club I go to! :eek: The competition is hot!

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Oh dear. What have I started? I was just saying....

Of course I will enter the comp but I fear that a win would prove expensive. A 35mm Summicron would cost about £2k to start with.

3. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

I didn't take it as criticism at all. I agree that the figures are not good and was just offering my perspective. There are multiple reasons for this shrinking of the market, some of which have been mentioned already.
    The encouraging news is that with AP's relaunch in June we have halted AP's downward slide and sales are up over the second half of this year. We're currently 'outperforming the market', to use the industry jargon.

4. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Not surprised - it is clearly an improvement. Only problem is finding time to read it