1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Win a Leica M

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Guilhelmus Pingebat, Oct 5, 2014.

1. It was predictable, if only for the reason that it has happened before. The entry form for this competition, complete with the first coupon, has been printed on a page with editorial on the reverse. Not just any old article either, but one describing the progression of cameras made since AP was first published in 1884; something that camera buffs might just want to keep in its entirety. Are Roger Hicks' words so easily dismissed? What makes it worse is the essentially redundant flyer for the draw, printed on high quality card no less with the same wording on both sides, included with the magazine. Could not the entry form and voucher have been incorporated on this? It keeps the magazine intact and upsets neither readers nor advertisers. I know I would have found that much easier to keep track of during the next few weeks rather than a scrap of paper cut from the magazine.

If AP follows form, the entry form will be reprinted during the competition's run, so can I request more considerate placement for these and the subsequent vouchers?

Good issue, BTW, apart from this one peeve.

2. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

+ 1 from me - and why on earth the duplicated wording on the flier.

3. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Yes the coupon will be reprinted, although where it appears in the magazine I do not know. It will also be available to download. As for the duplication on the backing board, this was due to a production problem.

Regards
    Mark

4. Thanks, Mark. An impressively quick response, especially given that it is a Sunday. I do appreciate the way that AP uses the forum to engage with its readers. That said, I still think that the magazine missed a trick by not printing the entry form on the flyer.

5. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Thank you.

Perhaps so and a point that I will raise with the marketing dept. for consideration in future. That said the production of anything is subject to change up until the point that it is produced. In the case of AP the flat plan (running order of editorial and advertising) is often changing up until the print deadline.

Throw in a few adjuncts such as backing boards, bagging, supplements etc. (with their own - usually earlier - schedules, depts. and third party interest) and production problems can unfortunately occur.

As mentioned the entry coupon will be available for download. Tokens, three through eight*, are scheduled to be printed on the final page of the 'Technical Support' section.

Regards
    Mark

*I believe 'token two' will be printed with the next entry coupon.

6. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

When I win it, would it be possible for me to pay the difference and get it with a Noctilux lens (I think that's what the f/0.95 one is called.) I have lusted after that since forever.

:)

7. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

I have changed the placement of the form in the next issue so that it backs onto an ad, so you do not need to cut up the one in this issue.

8. Nigel_Atherton

I have changed the placement of the form in the next issue so that it backs onto an ad, so you do not need to cut up the one in this issue. Sorry about that! I should have anticipated that from the outset.

9. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

10. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Thanks, Nigel.

Now if we can also have at least 6 of the 8 tokens placed so that they back onto ads...

Since I'm again a subscriber, Royal Mail permitting, I should be in with at least a 1/(current circulation figure) chance! :)

11. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

As mentioned tokens 3 through 8 will appear on the final page of the 'Technical Support' section, so will be backed by advertising.

m

12. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Thanks, Mark. I hadn't fully appreciated the significance of your earlier comment.

13. Thanks to Mark and Nigel for their responses and sorting out the placement of the entry form and coupons for subsequent issues.

14. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I was wondering what the chances of winning this camera could be. The worst possible odds would be if every purchaser of the mag entered. So I found this:-
    http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/uk-ma...age-63-cent-full-abc-breakdown-all-503-titles
    I was surprised and concerned. The worst possible odds may be encouraging to anyone entering the competition, and of course many purchasers are not regular purchasers, and many will not enter anyway.
    My concern is the state of AP's circulation. I expected AP to be one of the more successful photo mags, yet I see what I consider inferior publications selling more copies. I hope that the recent changes (together with this competition to encourage people to have a look) do something to improve the numbers.

15. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Don't forget that AP publishes four, sometimes five, issues per month.

16. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Mark,

Exactly. Who sells more copies per month than we do? Few, if any, I suspect.

Cheers,

R.

17. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

It's a bit grim, Learning, especially when you compare it to the photo mags all times highs.

The BJP are doing incredibly well on print sales which staggers me as the design & art direction is .. is .... er frankly, .. very poor. The same chart expanded to include digital subscriptions would be interesting. A quick search of PG failed to reveal it. Cheers, Oly

18. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Hi Roger,

The BJP's best ever numbers was c.10K. AP's best ever numbers, IIRC, topped 300K.

Cheers, Oly

19. Nigel_Atherton

AP actually sells more in a week than all but 2-3 of the 20-odd monthlies sell in a month and those titles that do sell more do so by bribing the reader with seven or eight 'free gifts' with every issue, which seriously eats in to their profitability.

Er... no they're not. They've just made major redundancies.
    Also, digital sales are not included but would be no more than about 5% of the print sales in most cases.

The fact is that, largely thanks to the internet, tablets and smartphones, magazine sales are in decline across the board, with very few exceptions. NME used to sell over 600k per week in its prime, for example, now its about level with AP. The photography sector is also affected by declining camera sales and the over-supply of titles in the sector. When I started at AP in 1994 there were only about four consumer photo magazines, and it'll eventually have to go back to that sort of number for this now much smaller market to be sustainable in the long term. AP is at least in a better position than most to be one of the survivors.

20. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Thanks for your reply Nigel. I am not criticising, and I am sorry if my post was seen as such and I cannot imagine how we could get better figures. I am sure that AP is the best photo mag in Britain, if not the world. I realise that monthlies don't sell as many copies as AP per month, but two well known ones do sell more copies per issue.
    BJP figures are disastrous; I don't know how they continue (but I do my bit by subscribing).
    I subscribe to AP and I would urge every member of this forum to subscribe. We need a spirit of harambee (in the original Swahili meaning).
    I did not go looking for figures to criticise but merely to guestimate the odds of winning a camera. I expressed a concern that readers of the mag who value it should be aware of.