1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Win A K-3 (free of charge :o) ...

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Done_rundleCams, May 8, 2014.

1. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

2. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

Bit of a chore Jack but thanks all the same. Now all I have to do is win I suppose I'm up against you Jack. May the best man win and by that I mean me;). Cheers me old matey.

3. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Well, at least you won't be up against me! I bought my K3 last week! :-/) It is an awesome beast - I think the thing that's impressed me most so far is the low light AF performance (coming from K20D)

Now I realise I've got to upgrade memory cards, batteries, raw conversion software...

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  4. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

The competition is for UK residents. The Pentaxforums one though is global.

5. Done_rundleCams

Not for me, Frank :eek: I don't reside in the correct continent so you've only got the UK (and, maybe Europe) to contend with ;)

Cheers and fingers crossed :D

Jack

6. Done_rundleCams

Wooo Hoooo, well done Alex :D and, yep, time to move up from the 512MB cards
    to a 4GB card :eek: …….. ;)

Cheers,

Jack

7. Done_rundleCams

And here's me forgetting my password to the PF's :(

Jack

8. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

Jack you know I don't take any pleasure in this news but Woo Hoo my chances have increased by a figure of one. Though I am not sure if I have properly entered the comp anyway.

It was as difficult as trying to get into the Sony awards thingybob last week. That's another story. Keep them fingers crossed Jack :cool:

9. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Great news, Alex! I hope my reviews lived up to the camera in your hand :)

10. AlexMonro

Your review certainly helped me decide that I wanted a K3, and after 5 1/2 years with the K20D, there were enough improvements to make it worth upgrading. Then last week, my friendly local camera shop told me that they'd got a K3 in second hand, asking £699. So I had to jump at it... :)

I've read a few more reviews (DPreview, Imaging Resource), which have helped me learn about even more amazing features. I think I'm glad I didn't trade in my K20D - I can tell it's going to take a few months to get fully up the learning curve!

Have you discovered the HDR multi exposure raw file format yet, which according to Imaging resource, can enly be developed by Pentax's own Silkypix raw converter?

I haven't been able to find any signs of moire with AA simulation & flash, so that seems to be a non issue - since my main interest is landscapes, it probably wasn't going to be much of an issue for me anyway.

However, the K3 does open up possibilities - with the improved AF, I might have a go at birds in flight some more (though that might need a lens upgrade in long tele area - apparently the new Saffox works best with SDM lenses.

Anyway - good luck to everyone entering the comp - the K3 is a great prize!

11. Done_rundleCams

Everything is crossed that's crossable, Frank …… which could account why it took me 30 minutes to type this post :eek: …………. ;)

Cheers,

Jack

12. Done_rundleCams

Have fun with it, Alex and, maybe, try the DA16-50/2.8 for landscape stuff :) Also, just because the camera and lens are weatherproofed and, arguably, the best weatherproofing -- aside from waterproof -- it wouldn't hurt to invest in a few plastic bags and a few rubbers (elastic bands over here) and, for god's sake don't forget the coffee

[​IMG][/IMG]

;)

Cheers,

Jack

13. AlexMonro

Cheers, Jack. I already have the 16-50/2.8 DA*, which has been doing quite well on the K20D since I got the SDM motor sorted. I'm looking forward to it doing even better on the K3, from what I gathered from one of Prof. Newman's articles, a higher resolution sensor effectively improves the results with all lenses used with it.

Unfortunately, I've been a bit unwell over the last week or two, so I haven't been able to get out with the K3 as much as I'd've liked. I try to avoid going out in the rain too much - it tends to be what leads to me becoming unwell - but it's reasuring to know that if I do get caught out, the camera's unlikely to suffer!

Yes, coffee, just finishing 3rd this morning - time to visit the coffee pot again... :)

14. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

I am never bothered about using my K5 in the rain. Rubbish weather makes for my favourite shooting conditions and it has been thoroughly soaked many, many times. I even dropped it in briefly a pond once (accidentally). I protect non-WR zooms a bit and I never use my FA Ltd primes in the rain. I use WR zooms and older primes in the rain without a second thought.

I have heard of only a couple of instances of water ingress in WR Pentax bodies and I think in those cases Pentax won't (despite the marketing claims) cover water damage under warranty. But overwhelmingly I think they do what they say on the tin. I suppose it makes sense to take more precautions as the camera gets older and seals may wear, but I doubt I will.

15. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

What a great shot of you Jack in the rain. I must confess to taking a plastic bag out with me whenever I am wandering without a camera bag. That unexpected sudden shower can be a bit iffy.

I also have one of those camera raincoats in a bag somewhere, but cannot find it, but I would leave my head behind if it were loose! :)

16. Done_rundleCams

Hi M_B,

Thank you sir and, so far, I believe only you and I think of it as being a pretty cool shot :eek: …….. a quality, not quantity, crowd of fans :D And, yep, I always have a plastic bag and rubber band (or two) with me on photo outings :)

As for things going missing …. I have too much of a history in that area :( ….. and, sadly, mostly me looking in a mirror to see the culprit ;)

Cheers,

Jack