1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Win 10 and jpeg2000 thumbnails

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Footloose, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I'm running Win 10 and when using File Explorer, thumbnails for my jpeg2000 - with the .jp2 extension are not being displayed. I'm not sure if this further complicates things, but these images were originally taken on a Phase One P20 back which saves its RAW files in the TIFF format. No other form of file-type is offered. My converted .jp2 files are 24-bit, and I'm saving them this way instead of a 'normal' jpeg because this generates Lossless images. I'm guessing the required 'code' to display these images, isn't normally supplied with Win 10?

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I've seen it suggested that if you rename fred.jp2 to fred.jpg the file can be opened by the built in jpeg handler. Probably best to copy rather than just rename the file if you want to try that. If it does work, you'll still have the problem of saving an edited file back to JPEG 2000 format, but there may be that option in the [File|Save As...] menu.

3. Footloose

Thanks Andrew, I'll give that a try, I'll feedback what does/doesn't happen ... Fred's useful, isn't he?!

4. Footloose

Ah Ha! Made copies of the file as TIFF, JP2 and JPG ... all 4096 x 4096 pixels.
    The original TIFF, 119,256 kb - 16 bit.
    As a JP2, 30,735 kb - 8 bit - Lowest compression.
    As a JPG, 27,953 kb - 8 bit - Lowest compression.
    If I save this as a JP2, then in File Explorer, just change the extension to JPG, it's not recognised as a valid file format.
    I'm using PSP x9, and JP2 files in that, show up amongst the thumbnails this produces. Presumably Win 10 and I gather earlier versions, don't display JP2 files in File Explorer either, so presumably MS just can't be bothered to support it!

Thought you might like to see the file sizes!