1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

William Mortensen!

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Roger Hicks, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

2. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I saw that - I'll have to read up on him, as someone who's never really got past basic printing with a bit of dodging and burning I'm always fascinated by people who did really inventive things with processes. See also Rjlander (spelling?) for those huge montages using thirty-plus glass plate negatives, for example.

Adrian

3. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

What ho, Roger! Fascinating chap. IIRC, he crossed swords with St Ansel & the f64 gruppe or rather, they disliked his type of photography somewhat intensely. Seem to recall that American Photographer - in a period when it was one of the best photo magazines, almost bar none :rolleyes: :p- did a major piece on him. Think I still have it somewhere. Wonder when people over here will discover A. Aubrey Bodine? Cheers, Oly

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  4. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Think I've seen both the usual Rijlander, Adrian, but also Rejlander somewhere ... or is it the other way round? :eek: Know who you mean. He was the subject of a RPS backed comp a while ago. Cheers, Oly

5. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

I came across a book of his pictures about thirty years ago. It struck me then as designed to titillate and not very interesting beyond that. I can't say that anything I've seen since has made me think differently.

Mind you, from what I know of them, he and Adams richly deserved one another.