1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will mobile cameras overtake DSLR?

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by LeeBraders, Mar 7, 2017.

?

Will DSLR cameras be overtaken by mobile devices?

1. Yes, eventually they will become obsolete to mobiles...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Not a chance, DSLR will always be two steps ahead!

100.0%
  1. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

2. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Indeed. My Samsung is like a wafer thin bar of soap. Impossible to do anything with unless you put it in a bulky case, which kind of defeats the object a bit.

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

At some stage, someone will put a ten to one optical zoom in a smartphone, then we'll see. Speaking of which, the numbers for all still camera manufacture tell a story: 2010: 121 million, 2011: 114 million, 2012: 100 million, 2013: 61 million, 2014: 42 million and 2015: 35 million. On the other hand, the proportion of mirrorless cameras in that shrinking market has increased: 2013: 5%, 2014: 7% and 2015: 9%. The dSLR market proportion also increased: 2013: 21%, 2014: 24% and 2015: 28%. Both of these sectors were taking share in a rapidly shrinking market from fixed lens cameras. That suggests the hard core of keen photographers are sticking with their prefered types while "normal" people are using cellphone cameras. The data is here: https://www.cinema5d.com/dslr-mirrorless-camera-market-shrinking-rapidly/

4. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Going by Andrew's figures I'd say that it's the low end, compact camera that's almost obsolete. the manufacturers have brought out a few new ones with action features such as underwater capability and rugged cases to try and keep the market alive but some mobile phones can now be used underwater and you can buy rugged cases for them.

5. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

It's been done. Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom for one. See specifications here:

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s4_zoom-5447.php

Mind you, it's somewhat less pocketable than the average smartphone...

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I'd forgotten about that. I wonder if there'll be more?

7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I wonder how much bigger a Sony RX100 series camera would be if they made an elongated version with phone, and usual smart phone sensors?
    And, would there even be a market for it? Given the cost of the latest mrk 5 camera only at over £1k I suppose my proposed unit would cost at least £1k5.