1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will film ever feature in your life again?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Steampunk

Steampunk Well-Known Member

Well, it's rather strange that since I have been using digital for a few years I have made far more effort to understand how my camera works and how to use it than I ever did with a film camera, I mean, what's the point of all the pre-sets on my digi cam when I try my damnedest to get a well exposed shot with the camera on full manual :rolleyes:

But, it does mean that I do have a desire to try and put my new understanding and knowledge to use with a film camera just to see if I really do know what I am doing :D

Steampunk.

2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Whaddya waiting for.....;):D

3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I haven't shot film for years but I have the kit for old time's sake. I did recently use my FM2n, not to shoot film, but demonstate to an aquaintance how the shutter and aperture worked. For the purpose of the demo it was possible to open the back of the camera.

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It's unlikely to play a major part in my life again - not like the years when I shot hundreds of rolls each year. I never used one hour processing in the old days - I either did it myself, or sent my slide films off for processing (and the odd print films I used). Then I had to sort through them, and in latter years, scan them - no, I spend no more time on them now than before, but the processing can be done with a glass of wine or a pint, and much closer to when they were taken. I do miss the individual character of some films, but that's just not enough to make me miss the stuff massively. I've sold off a number of my more expensive film cameras, but bought some cheaper ones, so I will get round to using a bit more - but really, since I bought a full-frame DSLR, I've not needed to shoot film, so for the most part, I haven't.

5. rjbell

rjbell Well-Known Member

I've never shot film other than compacts. I found two cameras in my parents house a praktika bm or bms and a halina 35x and a olympus trip 35 down the inlaws. I feel like i should have a go at film out of curiosity. Does anyone know any online place cheap to process onto cd so i can still tweek on photoshop?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  6. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

You have to send the films physically:p:D Why not try your local supermarket initially to see what they can do for a couple or three quid, and if it gets your juices going, so to speak, explore the more "professional" developers and scanners after that. That way if you don't get on with it you're not losing out....

7. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Many of the larger branches of Boots have in store minilabs. Minilabs usually only handle colour print film with C41 process chemistry, but there are some types of black and white film that use the same process, e.g. Ilford XP2 Super and Kodak BW400CN.

There still seem to be quite a few branches of Snappy Snaps around in many high streets and they can also handle conventional black and white film, and I believe colour transparency (slide) film as well.

8. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

Sold a stock B&W image from my 1950s Rolleicord this week, thought it would never happen! Perhaps I should liberate it from the cupboard occasionally.

9. Rushfan

Rushfan Well-Known Member

Dear Mr Demolder,

Are you deliberately trying to provoke film users? Your question is utterly asinine.

Film is not "dead" nor is it going away in a hurry. I use a variety of film cameras and, in fact, I'm taking 25 rolls of film with me on my holiday to Sri Lanka next week. I've yet to decide whether to use my Leica M6TTL, Leica R3 Mot or Nikon F5. My wife is taking a Nikon D700, so it might benefit us both if I were to use the F5 as we could share lenses.

I would also like to take great exception with your magazine and it's "filler" the other week on "what's the best camera of all time". What a waste of paper and ink. More irritating still was your choice of the Canon 5D MkII - not, I hasten to add, because it was a Canon and I own a Nikon (I don't get involved in the petty politics of the schoolyard) but your assertion that the winner must be the most advanced camera ever and, as that is the 5D MkII is little more than an advertising plug for Canon, in my opinion.

I always regarded Amateur Photographer (AP) as a well-balanced magazine representing the interests of ALL photographers irrespective of whether they used film, digital, wet plate or any combination thereof. It seems I was wrong. It appears to me that AP is going the way of the rest of the crap photography magazine market and that the next stage might as well be re-naming it as "Amateur Digital Photographer".

10. Rushfan

Rushfan Well-Known Member

Well said Steampunk. You may revert to digital if you find film is not for you but there isn't, in my opinion, any greater photographic enjoyment than to see a well exposed negative as vindication that you - rather than your camera - got the exposure right. No problem with auto or programme modes when it comes to photography with the sun at your back, however, shooting into the light (or with light at an acute angle to the lens) needs your intervention as very few cameras ever get tricky lighting right.

11. pos

pos New Member

If taking pictures myself: yes.
    If taking pictures for someone else. No.

12. GuyWood

GuyWood Well-Known Member

I recently bought an OM10 because it was going for buttons on the intranet at work.

In the last month I've bought an OM2n and 7 different lenses for it for well under £250 all in (all beautiful original Zuiko lenses) and I'm loving film again although I was never really into it beyond a point and shoot years ago :).

13. rjbell

rjbell Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about making some pinhole drink can cameras. So yes i could well be using film again soon.

14. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Yes. I'm not shooting film anymore but I am still scanning and printing it. Sometimes I even rewrite personal history with the aid of PS CS4.

15. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Sounds good! :)

Enjoy! :D

16. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Only when my wife unloads the film from her Olympus compact and asks me to take it to Boots!

17. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Oh boy, did someone upthread get their panties in a knot!

Adrian

18. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Quite - and with a total and utter lack of understanding of how the Top 100 Cameras article was produced... frankly, a truly asinine post with an absurd and ridiculous conclusion. :rolleyes:

19. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Will film ever feature in your life again? Yes indeed, in fact.

I saw five(5) feature films over this past week :)

cheers and off to see one (The Muppets) this evening :D

Cheers,

jack

20. DonRak

DonRak Member

I have a Nikon F3 and I loaded it with a roll of film when I had a moment of nostalgia. In 8 months I've run 2 frames through it. :rolleyes: