1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will film ever feature in your life again?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Oct 25, 2011.

1. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Bit more like 1 and a third, I think. ;):)

2. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

Along side the Casio compact, I had my Nikon F5 with me today loaded with fomapan 400 (and I have Portra 160 VC in the fridge). Film's never really left my life, though often takes a back seat. There's still something very magical about shooting B&W on film.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  3. zx9

zx9 Well-Known Member

"We have both kinds of photography, film and digital" :cool:

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Never say "never again"!

5. nspur

nspur Well-Known Member

Yes, but not in a SLR. I have a collection of SLRs before AF and although they all work I don't intend to use them. But I do have a Voigtlander Bessa 4A with lenses fom 12 mm to 75 mm and I find it very satisfying and have recently acquired a Mamiya 645 1000s that has film in it and used today. I develop the b/w and scan it but there's a local lab that does the colour and scans that. There's no way, though, that I'm going to get in to wet printing again; I haven't done that for at least 20 years.

6. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Just shot some film actually. :)

But it is just for fun on a camera I used in my past.

I think my digital can beat the performance of it.

Although there are more modern E6 film that when I last shot film that might offer something.

So I might have a play with a high end E6 :)

7. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

Film is a fond part of my history, but not my future. If I had (or have in future) the means to process and print myself, then maybe, but I don't and TBH I'm not sure I want to.
    I'm not into this business of running film through a cheapo cr4p (or ancient cr4p!) camera to get trendy prints - I am more than capable of taking dreadful shots with my expensive digital gear, thanks! - and I no longer own any film kit.
    I can understand using film for the magic of a pinhole camera set-up, and to some extent using old quality gear, but it's like running a classic car; it does everything you need it to but it's slower, more expensive and rather unpredictable!

8. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Well, there are certainly some things that digital is far better at ... however ...
    Slower? This can be a major benefit, if it makes you think about composing carefully rather than machine gunning the shutter button. And, if you're using transparency film & getting it processed in a lab rather than doing it yourself, you save hours of time poring over computer keyboard & a fortune in worn out mouse buttons.

More expensive? Depends on how many times you push the button ... there's a huge amount of film in the difference between the price tag of a DSLR and a decent used film equivalent.

Rather unpredictable? Not if you have a reasonable level of technical ability ... in fact I find the results from old mechanical cameras rather more predictable than if I try to use the auto functions on modern gear. This is nothing to do with the sensor technology ... however the ability of old mechanical cameras to operate without a battery can be useful ...

9. 0lybacker

Love this as a quote!

(PS. I could mention how often a mate is at the repair shop with his DSLR kit while my Oly's run on and on but I won't ... :rolleyes::))

[PPS. I could mention that I rather like slow for some things :p, unpredictable goes with life :confused: and ... I think if you do the sums (total inc. PC and ALL the bits) you may be horrified how much you've spent in going digital! :eek:]

10. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

..ain't that the truth!;)
    One good thing to come from 'Top Gear' - the concept of 'man-maths'. Makes it all affordable!! :eek:

11. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

The darkroom dropped out of use years ago and I gave the developing tanks away to another forum member in the summer so there is little chance of film coming back seriously. However I still have at least 8 film and plate cameras, against only four digital ones so I do like to exercise my favourite ones occassionally - but it is just for the pleasure of using the kit, not really for the results.

Roger

12. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I've just got access to a darkroom again and, although I'm restricted by the kit to contact printing from my 6x9s (much as the original owners of the Brownies would have done anyway), it's great. I am a luddite, frankly, but I like to do things with my hands, and computers are tools to do jobs, not things I use for pleasure (well, not in public, anyway!). I simply love the hands-on aspect of it, the onion-y fixer fingers, waiting for the first signs of blackness on your paper in the warm glow of the safelight... Mmmmmm, lovely!

Adrian

13. Guitarist

Guitarist Well-Known Member

I have a collection of film cameras, all of which get exercised every now and then. So yes, I will continue to use film. Digital/Film ratio? Something in the order of 80/20.

14. Hwntws

Hwntws Well-Known Member

I just use film, 35mm and 6X7. I don't have digital cameras, unless you count the one on my phone that never gets used.

15. 0lybacker

I haven't seen that one but I can guess how it works! :rolleyes:

The other alternative is "I'll just run this budget past the Mrs/'er Indoors/SWMBO" ;) ...

... or ...

... "I've sold some kit, so the new money involved is relatively small, dear." :D

16. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

I had a mildly depressing conversation with a group of young friends the other day.

We were discussing photography and the change from film to digital, and i gave my blanket statement of the day; that most of them had probably never used film, being only about 6 years old in 2000.

"By the time digital got popular (2006/2007 was about the time when canikon dropped mainstream film bodies) you were just getting into photography, weren't you?" I continued.

"No, we've all used film!" they cried.

"What? Really?" I looked around them and recalled i had only ever seen one of them use film, in vintage cameras from eBay and Lomo creative toys (who hadn't seen fit to get a light meter to go with them, though). The groups look of derision was akin to if i'd said 'Of course, because you're young you've never seen fit to join society and wear underpants. By the time going commando got popular you were just getting into underwear, weren't you?' "When?" I asked.

"Disposable cameras." They finished.

"But they have plastic lenses, one shutter speed, no aperture control!" This didn't seem to matter. They were adamant, they had technically shot on film, all be it on boozy nights out. "So..." said I "...how many of you have actually touched some film? You know, like when loading a camera?"

"..."

Save for that one kid playing with meterless eBay specials and lomos, the silence pretty much spoke for itself.

Is this where film has found itself for the generation that will replace us? Something disposable people fall back on when they don't want to loose/damage their pocket digital camera on a night out?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  17. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

And just because I can, decided to bring the F90x with me today. Bought this new back in the 90s for way too much money, and so didn't like taking it out with me all the time at first :) Still has all the screw-in caps on it which on most of these bodies are long gone.

[​IMG]

18. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

There's a lot to be said for keeping a battery-free disposable in the car for those all important insurance snaps when vehicles collide...

19. gollum

gollum Well-Known Member

lol....made me smile this..........someone on my Uni course is shooting the current project on disposable cameras and no I didn't ask :).............but then again I suppose the same could be said for camera phones :)

20. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

Crikey - I've overused that last one myself!!:eek:
    As I've said on here before, when your wife has a horse in livery, and all of those associated costs, it gives one pretty much, ahem, free rein where photo purchases are concerned;):cool: