1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will film ever feature in your life again?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Damien_Demolder

Damien_Demolder Well-Known Member

I suspect that for most of us, the question of whether it is film or digital photography that is better is no longer of much importance. In case you hadn’t quite decided yourself, let me direct you towards the position where you recognise they each have their positive and negative points, but that in the end they are just different. The greatest of those differences, though, for the majority of people who stand behind the camera, is convenience, with digital capture and output being thought of as much easier and faster.

I wonder, though, if we were to divide our photographic hours per year into ‘shooting time’ and ‘processing time’ how the balance might compare to that of ten years ago. Does the digital way of life mean you spend more or less of your photography time shooting than before? If you used to develop your own work in the days of film, you probably are saving time - if you didn’t process and print yourself, you probably are now. Being able to do it myself gives me control, but it also ties me to a desk when I should be taking pictures.

Dropping off a film at the lab and retiring to the pub for an hour was a bit of a treat. Perhaps I should take Ian Farrell’s advice, on pages 57-59 (AP dated 29 Oct 2011), and get some Kodak Portra 160 film.

Head to the homepage to vote in this week's poll - Will film ever feature in your life again?

Damien

[​IMG]

2. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

As usual, bad choice list: for me, it's less than half & half but a lot more than occasional. There are still some things that mono film does far better than mono conversion from colour digital sensor ... and a good colour transprency, well projected, still has more impact and detail than digital projection.

3. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

My aspect ratio is more than 50:50 in favour of digital...however I keep more of my film shots that digi shots which suggests to me that I'm more particular about using film than digital which is why I suppose I went back to film. Damn I wish I could carry the habit over more in my digital use.:eek::D

4. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Yes, all the time at the moment... for college. The first three assignments a all film related. Shoot medium format next week.

As for personal use, it's digital all the way.

5. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

For me too. I just sold the last of my film M bodies last week and I expect the R's and other bits will follow, so I can't see myself shooting film again.

That said I'm not going to rule it out completely and there's no option for that, so no vote.

6. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Sorry Damien, I can't vote.

Yet again, you have provided no option for me. :(

Where is the one: I will or expect to continue using film alongside digital?

7. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Surely, this would suffice - Yes, I’m half film and half digital

[​IMG]

8. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Never say never!

9. Ephemeral

Ephemeral Well-Known Member

Just about to book a day in a darkroom as a refresher :)

Really looking forward to it, will have to expose a roll very soon though or I'll have nothing to play with...

10. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

I've gone for 'No, i'll never use it again.'

I will, of course, but just the odd roll here and there. I would say i'd be using using less than one roll every two years, maybe less.

11. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I would say few and far between.

I can not see much reason to use film, except for a bit of fun with old cameras.

12. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

ATM I'm all digital, but as I still have my 5x4 and 10x8 cameras, and a dormant darkroom (Being a workshop for film props ATM) I hope to get back in.

Mind you, I'll have to brew up some more PMK developer, the stuff I've got is well past its use-by date.:(:D

Dave

13. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Actually, and this is a bad sign i suppose, i've changed digital bodies four times since 2007 (D40>D80>D2h>D300s) and during the same time period shot three rolls of film.

14. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Laughs on you, mate, I'm not 50:50. Not sure how to count it, anyway. Time camera is in hands? Carrying bags with all of one and none of t'other? Do pockets count? Actual frames exposed?

Life's too short, so here's a guess. Up to last weekend, for the month of October, digital may have been in front. Then I did quite a bit of film photography and again yesterday. So film just in front. Mebbe!? Overall, I reckon 70% digital, 30% film but earlier this year it was close to 100% digital.

Try going back to my post and re-reading it ... ;):)

[PS. Very contemporary ... referendums all the rage ... and perhaps, increasingly so. How questions are phrased and how many options you include can be very important. ;)]

15. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Pobably not....would rather shoot digital than colour print film these days, have no use for slides and don't know what to do with black and white.

Have kept my film camera just incase though;)

16. MattyX

MattyX New Member

Film has just re-entered my life this last few weeks,after being into photography for the last 25 years i did begin to become bored with it,Loading up my bag with all types of kit i knew i would not need and coming back home hours later with nothing but some nice snaps,i have now in the last couple of weeks sold every last bit of my camera kit including bags,tripods,monopods,cameras and lenses and bought a fuji X100 and with the rest of the left over cash i am going to invest in nice classic 35mm or 120mm rangefinder,
    Using the X100 has been like a rebirth into this past time of mine,i am having to think and use my feet more and i am loving it,no more humping a large heavy tripod or bag around all day has saved my back to,
    I think in this digital age there is a place for both formats and we all should'nt get hung up on which is best and why,but what the final picture in front of us is trying to tell us and if the person who pressed the shutter likes it then its a winner every time.

17. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

82:18 ??

18. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I can fairly confidently say that as long as I am into photography, film will always be a significant part of my life.

19. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

Enjoyed my b/w film days and darkroom antics, but film is as dead as a Dodo along with the horse 'n cart in my book. Been looking forward to digital getting where it is today since 2000 :)

20. gollum

gollum Well-Known Member

It very much still does....because it is real ;)

And yes try that Kodak Portra you'll love it :)