1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wildlife

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by Loony, Nov 6, 2017.

1. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Mine is that the DG designation referred to the coatings in this instance, being optimised for digital cameras, since the earlier versions of the lens were otherwise optically identical, but were designated APO only.

2. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Oh yes, that's fair enough. My comment was due to me getting the impression that Nimbus was suggesting that the Sigma DG lenses were more modern.

Cheers, Jeff

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Not according to this https://photo.stackexchange.com/que...-letter-codes-in-a-lens-name-mean/76188#76188.

It suggests DG was added to fill a gap, i.e to mark a non-DC lens. While it is true that in this period many lenses were redesigned to improve edge performance I don't think the appearance of DG by itself in the designation means it has been redesigned. You'd have to check.

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I did not state that the optical configuration had been redesigned, simply that the coatings had been changed.

5. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The lenses designated DG were of later manufacture.

6. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

That’s right. https://www.sigmaphoto.com/service-support/faqs

Q: “What is the main difference between a DC and a DG lens?

A: “DC lenses are designed for cameras with an APS-C size sensor and won’t cover the entire image area of a 24x36mm (Full Frame) sensor. DG lenses are designed for cameras with a 24x36mm (Full Frame) sensor but will work equally as well on a camera with an APS-C sensor.”​

Chris

7. Loony

Loony Member

Hallo,

does anyone know what the Tokina 400mm f5.6 is like? (fd mount)

8. PeteRob

Never used one. A quick search turns up reviews. There is more than one version so you need to check. If it is FD it is old (likely pre 1990) and won't fit Canon EF or EF-S. Generally spoken Tokina have a good reputation.

9. Loony

Loony Member

Thanks for the quick reply, I was planning on using it with an adapter. reviews seem ok. I was just wondering what the drawbacks of using an adapter are?

10. Loony

Loony Member

On second thoughts, without AF and image stabilisation, its probably not going to be suitable.

11. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

If it looks like this - https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/data/77/large/Tokina_400mm_f5_6.jpeg - then I have one in Nikon fit. Optically it's a decent lens and the focus action is smooth. The lens is pretty heavy with a built in hood and tripod mount.

in the case of the Canon FD mount the adapter contains a lens to ensure infinity focus (the FD and EF mount distance is the same). On the upside this usually has a 1.2x magnification factor. On the downside, depending on how good the adapter and it's lens(es) are, you may see a significant loss in image quality.

With modern cameras you can always put the ISO up when handholding to keep a reasonable shutter speed. For wildlife a tripod, beanbag or similar support is generally best for quality work. Focusing is actually not as hard as you might think, A 400mm lens, even at f5.6, has quite a shallow depth of field and this means that the subject is quite significantly sharper than it's surroundings when it's in focus, speed may take practice but actually seeing when it's in focus is pretty simple.

12. Loony

Loony Member

May be worth buying then, even if only for the experience factor.

13. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Loss of automatic stop-down, you are already looking at manual focus at f5.6, meaning a fairly dim screen image, all told something slow, fiddly and tedious in operation, if your wildlife is moving it will make things very frustrating and difficult. None of it the fault of the lens itself. Sorry if it all seems rather negative, but it's the truth.

14. Loony

Loony Member

ok, thanks.

15. PeteRob

I'd be inclined to look for a used Canon 400 F5.6 L. Now that the 100-400 mkii zoom can match it wide open @400 the prime is possibly less attractive than it was and the price might be lower as a result. If you go that route make sure it still has the tripod collar. The collar happens to fit the 70-200 F4 L IS which ships without one.

16. Loony

Loony Member

Don't know what the used prices are like in the UK, here in germany they start at 700 euros!

17. PeteRob

I looked and I must admit to being surprised - shops are asking ~75% of new price.

18. Loony

Loony Member

Well at least if I decide that photography is not for me, I'm not going to lose a lot when I sell it.!;)