1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why so coy?

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by PeteRob, May 7, 2014.

1. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It was interesting to read the rugby football masterclass in this week's edition but why not say what was the equipment Nikon [presumably] loaned for the day and what the settings for the published shots (plus crop info.) were?

The forum is occasionally asked about what to use for football and rugby so it is nice to see such a set. Potentially the set could help with difficult question of framing and distance for different focal lengths. The main question that comes in is what focal length to zoom in or to isolate players.

It would be nice to follow up with a short article showing how one (or two stood a bit apart) players are framed by 70, 200, 300, 400, 600 focal lengths at different distances relevant to the sport - e.g 1/4 across the pitch, center pitch for someone stood on the touchline - both for the adult game and the schoolboy game. It would be useful to have something in the background too to illustrate the dof @ f5.6 which will be wide-open for most aspirants.

2. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Yeah, save some posting time for the rest of us ..... ;)

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Not seen the article as my copy hasn't arrived yet, but as someone who shoots a fair bit of rugby at various levels (had some pics in the local rag last week), I don't think it would be terribly helpful to give such settings TBH. Action takes place where it takes place, not necessarily in the places you've decided on an appropriate focal length for.

Assuming I'm on the touchline, I would ideally have two cameras: APS-C with 100-400 and full frame with 70-300. That covers most eventualities, but really the key points are anticipation (which comes from knowing the game) and quick decision making as to framing.

4. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Last Monday, I covered much of the MK Marathon at the 17 mile point using my 1D Mk IV, and my EF 70-200 F/4L IS. Focal lengths for individual runners were in the range 85 to 200mm, with many shot at around the 120 to 135mm area - well within the offerings of a kit lens on APS-c.

[​IMG]

Eos 1D IV. 6fps, AIServo, offset focus point. 1/2500 @ F/5. ISO 400. -1/3s.
    121mm EF 70-200 F/4l IS. (jpeg capture only.)

(I've found football more challenging.)