1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is the Sony room so moribund.

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by Learning, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I don't see why anyone would feel intimidated about the camera they use. It either takes the pictures they want or not.

2. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about anything said at a RPS event. :)

SqueamishOssifrage and El_Sid like this.
  3. Jeff Preston

Jeff Preston Well-Known Member

OK.
    I do.

4. Jeff Preston

I think I see your point.
    But where else to get good advice ?
    Please don't say the local camera club - they show how to win camera club competitions.
    On line ? Some blogs are interesting but, of course, there is no real interaction.
    Do a degree, but being an elderly retired gent without thousands of pounds to spend on a hobby that would be an intellectual and financial step too far.
    Just keep bumbling along I suppose.

5. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Another option is to keep an eye on your local camera shops. In my part of the world, the local Jessops shop regularly organises camera walks lead by photographic 'brand ambassadors' who give tips on using their make of kit and let you have a play with the latest gear - Sony appears to regularly run such events.

Cheers, Jeff

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The Sony Rx10 iii produces staggeringly good images for a bridge camera and with a 24-600 mm equivalent fov provides more flexibility than can be easily carried about. That's my wife's view as I stagger along with a kit bag. OK it is an expensive bridge camera but still way cheaper than the kit I use.

7. Jeff Preston

What part of the world ?
    I wonder whether a walk would involve some degree of off putting sales promotion.
    Jeff

8. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

The nearest shop to me is the one in Manchester.

I can't speak for the degree of sales promotion I'm afraid - although I believe that a couple of members of the forum have attended such events and perhaps they could give an insight?

Cheers, Jeff

9. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

First on the Sony boss situation it was Harari and Yoshida who steered Sony back to profit and growth. :p

The new boss is Yoshida and Harari is not leaving the Sony family he is becoming chairman. :)

As for becoming a "serious and accomplished photographers" that has nothing to do with kit.

That is all about one's approach and spotting good shots. :)

Accomplished? Well is that being exhibited, published. or making money?

Again let's us not forget if you are using a Nikon your using Sony technology inside :p

We can possibly learn a lesson here from history, back in the early 80s Nikon was pro king.

Until Canon re-designed their camera system from the ground up to support AF.

They are now the pro king.

Sony IMO is doing the same building a pro system around mirrorless and pushing out the older

technology rather keep it around to offer compatibility.

Also Sony is increasing it's pro support.

I have also read that Canon is now questioning its pro users on what they want from a mirrorless system :)

10. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

11. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Now that Sony have announced a nice new pocket compact (RX100 VI Cyber-Shot), maybe things will liven up a bit.

A snip at about £1,150...

12. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I picked up an A65 with a Tamron 18-300 a while ago and it's as good as any of the Canons or Nikons I've used. BUT Sony has its own way of doing things and I think that sometimes counts against it when people look at them in the shop.

Sony HX90 8GB 01 DSC01375.JPG

SXH likes this.
  13. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

^The A65 is a camera that has always been overlooked. It is as good a performer as cameras of similar pixel count from Nikon or Canon, for a number of users the EVF is a bit of a deterrent.

14. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I, on the other hand, was passing CEX yesterday and they (the swines!) just happened to have one of these in the window for a reasonable price...
    20612cess.jpg
    A nice condition Alpha A200, with the 18-70mm 'Macro' kit lens. Ideal for my 10MP camera collection. Not the original packaging, but all the bits that came with it originally. Even the USB cable! And a Sony holster type camera bag. And, more importantly, a 4GB CompactFlash card.

You're right about Sony doing things their own way though - accessing set-up options via buttons rather than the menu? Very odd.

15. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Indeed quite a snip, especially after the price drops below £1k within a few months. I am still very impressed with my mark 3 model. The technology and capability of these nasty little cameras is quite amazing. That extra 1.6mm in thickness is pushing the pocketability somewhat. I also wonder if they have prevented the eyepiece being pushed back too easily. They still have not added the front grip as standard. It improves the handling but does not increase the overall thickness of the camera.
    I wonder when the next RX10 will arrive.

16. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

It made AP's compact camera of the year. A verdict that I certainly agree with.
    AP is more polite than me. AP refers to its handling foibles. If my mark 3 breaks down then I will be very tempted by the mark 6.
    To be fair to Sony it is difficult to see how they could improve the handling without making it bigger. Except in one way; make the optional grip standard, or at least include it in the box. The grip does not increase the overall size of the camera. I do not apologise for repeating that from my previous post. The lack of the grip is an irritation especially at this price point.