1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is the Sony room so moribund.

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by Learning, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Before this post, the last post was months ago. Wot's gone wrong? Sony has introduced interesting products. Has nobody bought them, and wants to tell us about them.
    We haven't even got anyone complaining that their Rx10 m4 is limited by Sony's choice not to support UHS ll. The alpha 9, not a peep. The affordable Alph 7Rll? still no user comments.

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Why is Sony so moribund?

Are the two topics by any chance related?

Cheers,

R.

3. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I use Sony cameras but have not bought anything new for ages, can't afford to and don't really need to as what I have does all I want.

Zou likes this.
  4. Learning

Sony is not moribund. this Sony room seems to have become moribund.

5. Roger Hicks

Disputable. The fact that I considered writing "Who cares?" suggests that Sony has failed to capture the public imagination.

Cheers,

R.

Learning likes this.
  6. Learning

I am a Nikon DSLR user but take more pictures with a Sony Rx100 m3. Ergonomically the Rx100 series are a disaster. The body is slippy, the controls are fiddly, the menues very un-intuitive, and on the m3 the viewfinder retracts too easily; battery life is not good either. But it has two redeeming features. It fits easily in a jacket pocket, and it makes much better images than might be expected from such a diminutive body. I see no need to replace it until it breaks down.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  7. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

8. Roger Hicks

9. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I like my little HX90. Goes anywhere and gives me the equivalent of a 24-700 mm range. If Sony would produce a competitor to Nikon's P900 I'd be seriously tempted though I'd have to donate the £5 Fuji to a charity shop to justify it ;)

Roger Hicks likes this.
  10. Roger Hicks

Dear Andrew,

As so often: not so much like as love.

Cheers,

R.

11. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I never get the feeling that Sony are the least interested in photography.
    However they love making sophisticated technical gadgets.
    Cameras fit that marketing profile very well.

So Sony make cameras. But they make their real money by making sensors for companies that are interested in photography.
    I think after they launch a new camera, they soon lose interest in it. And like any butterfly move on to things new, never quite taking sufficient interest to perfect anything.

12. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Maybe Sony users are too busy taking pictures:).

Learning, Zou and spinno like this.
  13. Learning

Perfect Answer.

14. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Terry Donnelly certainly is... He was at my Club last night giving a talk on his photography and his conversion to Sony Mirrorless. He's a Sony Ambassador and came with two Sony reps and a guy from my local LCE shop plus what I guess was the complete range of Alpha mirrorless full frame cameras and lenses as well as some compacts and bridge camera or two. If everyone else was as enthusiastic about the Sony Alphas as this guy Canon and Nikon wouldn't get a look in. Unfortunately his enthusiasm borders on extreme fanboy levels of near fanaticism and an hour or so of his anti-DSLR jabber got extremely boring nay irritating. Apparently he uses the A9 and, judging from his demonstration and images, it's clearly an excellent piece of kit but then it should be for £4.5k but that's not necessarily a case for appearing to believe that everyone should have a Sony Alpha...:rolleyes:

Roger Hicks likes this.
  15. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

I can talk about MINOLTA as I have been GIVEN loads of Minolta FILM cameras but all on here are about 'Digital' --------

16. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Not everyone here's all digital .
    I've got most Minolta 35mm SLR's , manual focus and autofocus .
    Both Minolta 110 SLR's , both APS Vectis SLR's a TLR , and a load of point and shoot models & some 16mm gear .
    I bought the Sony a100 as my first DSLR so I could stick to using my Minolta lenses .

I'm probably shooting more 35mm , medium format and large format film than I'm shooting digital recently .
    My main digital gear is an a900 , an a77ii and NEX 7 along with some Canon gear .