1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is iPad-ONLY sub more expensive than print-mag sub?

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by David_gu1, Nov 20, 2012.

1. David_gu1

David_gu1 Well-Known Member

Hi

I have been waiting for an iPad-only subscription for a while (to save some trees....), only to find out that buying the print magazine subcription is cheaper AND you get the ipad version thrown in for free!!

The ipad-only subscription costs £8.99 per month (£26.97 per quarter)
    The print (+ipad) subscription costs £19.99 per quarter.

Source: AP website, click on the Subscribe link on the top menu

No paper magazine, hence no printing costs, why isn't the ipad-only subscription cheaper than the print mag subscription?

thx

David

2. NosamLuap

NosamLuap Rebmem Roines

The zinio (cross platform electronic edition) is 66.66+ vat, so £80ish for a year, so whilst not cheaper it's pretty much the same as the printed version.

Still stupid, imho, as it should be cheaper.

3. spangler

spangler Well-Known Member

Because publishers like their snouts in the trough like every other business concern.

Andrew

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I would suspect that if you replace "publishers" with "Apple" you'll have the true reason... they DO like getting their cut.

5. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Like with eBooks (Kindle, etc.), VAT is required to be added to non-print subs - something that I have asked Which? magazine to investigate.

Printed matter is not subject to VAT.

6. Lurcio53

Lurcio53 New Member

Personally, and call me a technophobe it you like, that the I-pad part of the Print subscription is free at all, my quarterly subscription just went up by £10 and I don't even want to have an I-pad so where is the fairness in that, Why should I have to pay for something I will never use and didn't ask for - all I want is my print copy every week!

7. David_gu1

David_gu1 Well-Known Member

I agree with you, why don't they just split them up, ie print-only or ipad-only? Then you only pay for what you want.

I'd still expect the ipad subscription to be cheaper though!!

8. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I used to have subscriptions for several magazines (not all photography). I've gradually stopped them as I realised that it was only about one in two or three issues that I'd have actually bought individually. Now I have a quick browse at the shop and only buy if there's anything relevant for me. Most often there isn't. :(

9. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Hi I would assume that the annual subs price is an error. It should be £79.99 - see here -. As for other options I do not know. I will investigate with the subs dept. tomorrow.