1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why I don't like people 'liking' my photos...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by IanG1957, Aug 23, 2017.

1. IanG1957

IanG1957 Member

attempt at humour

Well I know I am...!

/attempt at humour

2. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

;)

3. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Well, I rarely post images on Facebook, never used Instagram or whatever it's called. Facebook is in my humble opinion, for what I term small talk, (A concept I don't understand) Some people want 'likes' because of the status that can be gained from that, and I'm guessing those who post 'likes', do so for the same reason.

As a consequence, I would suggest that if you are looking for more concrete and meaningful feedback, I'd strongly suggest you post your images (On here, the max size is 800 pixels along the longest side of an image) on this website in the 'Exhibition', 'Appraisal', of or 'Monthly Competition' forums here. Obviously, other websites offer some of these options as well, but I'm pretty sure (based on what I've seen elsewhere) you'll find the ones here, are likely to be far more informative and engaging!

4. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I use likes on Instagram two ways.

For friends, i.e. actual friends, I like pretty much everything they post if I see it. It's my way of saying, "Hey, I see you, I'm glad you're still pointing that phone / camera at stuff and clicking the button." or "Hey, nice sandwich". I take likes from my friends in the same vein. For people I follow who aren't friends, who I followed because of another reason, I like images of theirs that I feel I enjoy on any level, whether that's because of interesting content or interesting technique or just a nice shot. I take likes from people I don't know with more pride, but I keep it in perspective.

It's a *social* network, it's not a photography exhibition.

Facebook - no different, I assume Likes mean 'I saw this, hello."

I hope Flickr is different and I use it differently, liking images which I have ultimately enjoyed on some level.

Catriona likes this.
  5. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

... sometimes on Instagram, I'll like everything from a person I don't know well, if I think it'll help increase their exposure as well.

At least one poster to these forums falls into that category, in case they were wondering why I've liked pretty much everything they posted.

6. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

What really gives me a laugh is the idiots (not on this forum obviously) who happily post their photies on the internet, presumably to expose them to as many people as possible, and then moan like buggery if someone "steals" them and sticks them on other websites, thus giving added impetus to the originator's purpose.

Trannifan and Catriona like this.
  7. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I often post on FB for example a month back I went to a family get together so I shared the photos on FB so people who were there could see them and yes I got a load of "likes" from various people (although a disturbing number for a pic of my Aunt Lynda where due to either her position or my mind it looks to me like she is miming oral sex)

I ignore most of them but there are a few people who if they like my shot I'm happy about it because they are also photographers and don'y generally click "like" on anything