1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why I don't like people 'liking' my photos...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by IanG1957, Aug 23, 2017.

1. IanG1957

IanG1957 Member

This sounds like a rant, or at the very least, a broad generalisation, but it's true that I'm less and less happy with the quality of my 'likes' on social media.

I have a page on Facebook principally because I work a lot with circus companies and it's a relatively easy way to 'share' images with them. I have an Instagram account too, for similar reasons, and it's becoming more noticable that the 'friends' I have accumulated have no taste whatsoever. Not a sausage. Bugger all.

How do I know this? Well they just 'like' anything and everything I post - everything! Now of course, I, like every other photographer on this forum, think I'm the bees knees, and that my 'work' is worth the accolades, but frankly, there's a lot of dross out there - and I'll freely admit that I'm responsable for quite a bit too.

I think there has to be a new category of 'friendship' on social media - the 'verified trustworthy, with taste' friend - I would give them a special badge, and when I see that they have 'liked' one of my images, I can happily feel all rosy inside. However, without the badge, and it's the three strikes rule - then they're out!

In this world of anonymous posting, hidden profiles etc. I'd just like a bit of honesty - if I like an image I see, I 'like' it - if not, I keep my mouth shut (unusual, say my friends...) - can't other people see this??

Have a great day - and I mean that most sincerley folks....;)

beatnik69 and Geren like this.
  2. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

No I'm with you on this. A colleague recently announced that if you want to get a big instagram following you need to search for a tag that relates to your own feed in some way and then set about 'liking' everything that appears under that tag whether you like it or not. With any luck, the owners of some of those images will follow you. Because they will then hope that you will follow them back. Some will unfollow you if you don't but some will stay and if you keep at it, liking, liking, liking...then eventually you will build up a big instagram following. Allegedly.

It all seems like an awful lot of hard work just to get a bunch of randomers to like your stuff - and totally pointless if they too are merely liking everythign in the hopes of attracting followers. There's very little value in that kind of liking!

Roger Hicks likes this.
  3. IanG1957

IanG1957 Member

Frankly what's the point? I would personally prefer an honest "your image is cr*p" from someone I consider and respect, than a hundred random 'likes' from people who use Canon cameras - oh shit, sorry....I meant Instamatics of course....:(

4. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

I completely ignore "Likes" on forums, if somebody really likes something then it should be worth a post saying what/why they like, clicking a "like" button is pure laziness.

alphanov, Scphoto, Trannifan and 3 others like this.
  5. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I think people believe it is what you post it there for in the first place. Best to write in the description that you don't want people to like it.

What do you have to say to the two reprobates who "liked" your post?

6. IanG1957

IanG1957 Member

I somehow think you've missed the point of my post - respectfully....

7. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Oi! I had an instamatic! Loved that camera. Well, loved the flashcubes.

8. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Yep. You'll have to explain. People have to qualify somehow to like your stuff? You apply some kind of judgement of your own as to their artistic perceptiveness?

What qualifications do you think people should have before they can post comments, even a Like, as one of us habitually does, in Appraisals?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  9. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

You can disable 'likes' on Facebook if it bothers you so much.

10. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I still think that if we have a like button we should have a dislike button as well.

11. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Be careful what you wish for... :cool:

12. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

We all like Likes
    In the same way a dog likes to be patted.

RogerMac likes this.
  13. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Well there won't be many likes on Facebook at present! Unless I'm the only one getting the can't reach this site message. Ha!

Likes are fine.
    Comments 100 times better!

Geren likes this.
  14. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

It's just you.

15. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

What I really don't understand is the concept of "Like five and post one" groups that are so prevalent on Flickr and other social media photograph sites. Apparently you are only allowed to post a photo once you have "liked" enough of those already posted.

However - a much more serious warning - increasingly "likes" and "faves" of photos on social media are being used as Phishing devices. Apparently the scam is that you get a notification (a very good reason for having notifications switched off) telling you that (usually a sexy sounding female name) has "faved" your photo on Flickr or Instagram. It seems that the intended victims are then tempted to click on the name of the "faver" to see who she is and, bingo, the catch has been made.

16. Catriona

Strange. It came back for a second or two, then nowt!

17. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Be thankful for small mercies, Kate.

18. IanG1957

IanG1957 Member

My original post was serious - but only up to a point, and I (and visibly a number of other forum readers) thought this was fairly clear.

I quite understand that you "didn't get it" or don't appreciate my sense of humour - and I apologise.

In future, I'll try to remember to preface 'facetious' posts as such...

RovingMike likes this.
  19. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Well likes on Facebook, instagram and or Flickr don't meen much to be honest. Sure it's Nice but I realize that most of my friends will like anything I post... On the other hand posting here and getting positive feedback can really make my day. As opposit to my Facebook/Instagram following most people here are actually better photographers than me...

20. Catriona

I did a force load shift/refresh and up it came. Apparently I'm not alone having this problem at the moment.