1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why hello there

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by nedney, Jun 30, 2011.

1. nedney

nedney New Member

Greetings, all!

I'm a young guy living in New York City and looking for a new hobby. Though I have never been into any sort visual art (music is more my bag), photography has always seemed like an appealing activity, in spite of the fact that my only experience with it is a class I took when I was 14. Nonetheless I find myself seeing scenes and images everywhere that beg to be photographed by something other than my cell phone, so I've finally decided to give it a shot.

That all being said, I really have no idea where to begin [registration here asks me to verify my personhood by saying what the "d" in dSLR stands for; might've helped if I knew what SLR meant]. I had hoped putting "how to be an amateur photographer" into Google would yield something more straightforward, but all variations on that theme led me here. So, if anyone would like advise an utter neophyte on the basic ideas of photography and help me get started, I would be most grateful. I'm a blank slate; make me in your image*!

nedney

*no pun intended

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  2. Just_Dave

Just_Dave Well-Known Member

Hi

Welcome to AP :)

3. DeeJay

DeeJay Well-Known Member

Good morning and welcome to AP! :D

There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on this forum who are always willing to offer help and advice if needed. There are also very good beginners sections with "Sticky" posts which act as a kind of FAQ really.

Good luck and above all make sure you are having fun!

4. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

5. nedney

nedney New Member

Excellent, this is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks a ton!

6. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Hi there from far away. :D