1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do some photos have more noise than others at the same ISO?

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Bazarchie, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I have been cataloguing the balance of my 2016 photos over the last week, which I have to admit is most of them. I'm sure others are far more organised and diligent than me.

Last year I started to use higher ISOs than previously in situations where I needed fast shutter speeds with long lenses in poor light. What I have noticed in my cull is that at the same ISO setting on the same camera, some images have much more noise than others. My initial thought is that the better images are those with a good spread across the histogram, but are there other factors to consider?

I am using a Canon 7Dii and always shoot in raw.

In most cases the noise can be reduced to manageable levels levels in processing, but it would be good to know how to reduce noise in camera.

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

As you know it is more obvious on large expanses of the same colour, for example, the sky. The
    more a photo has in it, the less you really notice the noise.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The newest AP (in the shops Tuesday) is all about noise. I suspect with the longer lens you are more critical of the results because it is much easier to get less sharp images, also, as you say, even though you are using the same ISO you may be comparing quite different exposures. I think also, particularly with long lenses you can get texture in out of focus areas that otherwise lack detail which can look a bit like luminance noise. When I first used a 1D iv - bought to use with longer lenses - I was initially very surprised at the look of the raw files compared to my 5D and my first thought was noise but I have decided it is more related to bokeh.

4. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Noise shows up most in areas of little detail
    It also shows up first in shadow areas
    And with under exposure.
    And with recovery in pp.

The better lit and most detail shows least noise.

5. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Expose to the right and then bring back to correct exposure in post will definitely reduce noise.

Learning likes this.