1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Do Courses Cost So Much?

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Lawsyd, Feb 6, 2017.

1. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Nick,
    I know that I'm a bit slow (been told that many times :D) but you will have to explain that.

MickLL

2. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

£250/day is considerably less than most of the courses available to me in my line of work. Many are around £750/day, and with far from 1:1 tuition, fortunately I'm not expected to pay for them myself!
    For a beginner a course such as you're describing would IMO be a complete waste of money. There are plenty of much cheaper ways to learn the basics, and until you've sorted those you wouldn't be able to gain much from the deeper understanding anyone charging professional rates for teaching should be imparting.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Been there, done that, got the T shirt.....

Screen Shot 2017-02-07 at 19.02.32.png

Petrochemist likes this.
  4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Yep, been on some like that. Was sent on a coding course for a new product that cost the company £16k. At least the boss was happy - "two weeks without you bending my ear on data standards", he told me, "bliss!" ;)

5. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Here's a bargain course. Get yourself registered for Lomography e-mails. Apparently they are running courses for £10 including the loan of a camera and a roll of film. The February ones appear to be in London but they may tour them. You'll have to ask.

I have no connection with Lomography, not even as a satisfied customer.

6. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

I only ever paid for one course, it was all about digital photography that was when digital was starting to get recognised in camera clubs and a lot of people just wanted to know more about it, the course was run by Jessops in Leicester, it was a great experience, and I learnt a lot it could have been about 1997-98 it convinced me digital was the way to go, and I was converted. I have never been on a paid course since, I am completely self taught and thats how it should be, I am quite surprised these days that people pay huge sums of money to listen and often learn nothing about photography on some courses, the advice that I am about to give anybody who wants to take it is, once you have a camera go out there and enjoy yourself with it and just take plenty of pictures, if you need any advice just make sure you ask the right people who have done it all before and there is no need to pay for it. After saying all this, going to a lecture where there is a known person showing and talking about the pictures they have taken can be well worth it. Once again go out there with your camera do your own thing and enjoy.....

Roger Hicks, Lawsyd and RogerMac like this.
  7. saxacat

saxacat Well-Known Member

A few years ago, when my daughter lived in London, I attended a Nikon School course for flash photography; I really enjoyed the course and thought it decent value for money.

I no longer have access to free accommodation in London, so although I think the cost of Nikon's courses are reasonable, the cost of travel plus accommodation put them outside my budget.

I did sign up for another Nikon course; a wildlife course on the Farne Islands, (I live in the North East), however it was cancelled due to poor weather and Nikon have never run another one.

It is the cost of travel and accommodation that stops me attending courses, not the cost of the course themselves.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  8. dan marchant

dan marchant Active Member

I went on a three day course given by an Australian photojournalist. I had learned how the camera worked and knew how to take photos but didn't know how to make photos (composition and beyond). It really had a dramatic impact on the quality of my photography.