1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Do Courses Cost So Much?

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Lawsyd, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Also, a photography course is optional, unlike the £250 I had to pay a plumber to drink my tea all day! :eek: (He did fit a boiler and did a great job though:))

2. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

One of the few courses I have paid for was a Nikon course - led by Jeff Tucker, have I recalled that name right? It was just after they had launched the FM and FE. Cost £10.

The room was full. It was a very large room.

A good time was had by all.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  3. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

My dear sir, what an hopelessly naïve statement. Are you not aware that buying better kit automatically imparts a superiority in the execution of your chosen field of endeavour?

Or not, as the case may be. :D

4. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I've just read the thread title as "Why do Corsets Cost so Much?"

Cheers, Jeff

Geren, Lawsyd and spinno like this.
  5. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Have you been drinking coffee before your medication again Jeff? :D

6. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Guilty of course! As ever, don't do what I do, do what I say ;)

Every putter I ever bought was the magic secret to golf .....first time out. Wanna see the corner of my garage?

7. Fishboy

Nope - medicine first (cortico-streroids with a side order of two different varieties of thyroxine) with a glass of water followed by three industrial-strength cups of coffee (two level teaspoons of sugar and two heaped teaspoons of coffee) with each cup accompanied by a freshly-rolled cigarette. It really is the breakfast of champions.

Cheers, Jeff

Craig20264 likes this.
  8. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Two things to remember are that you are paying for someone's knowledge, which may have taken years to acquire, and also you are not paying just for one day or week or hour - a lot of time has to be spent beforehand in preparation, planning and so on.

£250 may seem expensive, but broken down into pounds per hour it may not be a massive amount.

S

Roger Hicks likes this.
  9. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

There we have the problem - two teaspoons of sugar. Cut that out [you may need a phased withdrawal] and you will feel better in no time.

S

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Crikey, that's about 40 years ago. Wowzers!

It's a good point that manufacturer's days can be very good, and often free or close to it; I had a half day's Canon Professional Services session shooting the 5Ds about 18 months ago, and as part of that I was shown how to use a tilt/shift lens with Live View, which was really, really useful. Also had a chance to chat with David Clapp for quite a while, which was very interesting. Of course the main aim was to promote Canon product, but it was educational and great fun too.

Also, The Societies have regular shows around the country, and include sessions with top pros on all sorts of topics, particularly portraiture; these are also free, and well worth it.Last one I went on they reminded everyone that it's fairly usual to have ongoing training in every profession, which is a good point. Obviously that's not so much of an issue in the amateur sphere, but the reality is that if you wish to learn from professionals, you have to be prepared to pay adequately for their time.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  11. Fishboy

Ah! I knew I was going wrong somewhere - thanks for that!

Cheers, Jeff

12. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

There are some strange posts in this thread. IMHO it's just as dumb to say that a course is 'crazy cheap' (or whatever the words were) as to say that a course is overly expensive.

Obviously it depends on lots of things. As an example one would expect a course run by a pro, with loads of overheads and 'pro preparation' etc to be more expensive than a course run by an amateur who has no overheads and may not do as much preparation. Let nobody jump on me. I'm being broad brush and simplistic. Even I can think of exceptions!!! Equally it also depends on the skill and knowledge of the presenter.

I have two personal examples:

1. A course run by a very well known amateur on the club circuit. It was carried out 'on location' so no venue costs and no refreshment costs. I had the impression that he had done zero preparation and a stronger impression that his skills in the particular field (dragon/damselflies) were rudimentary at best. It was dreadful and I complained so vehemently that he refunded the fee. Any price for that 'course' would have been considered expensive. I even began to wonder if the images of his that I had seen were actually his own work.

2. Another course on dragon/damsels this time run by a much published author on the subject. The price was about the same as the one above. This one was fantastic. Run by a man who not only knew his stuff but was excellent in passing on the knowledge and had clearly spent some time preparing and deciding how to present the information. I drove almost three hundred miles to attend. In this case I thought the cost was low for what I got. I would willingly have paid more.

Like everything else - do the research and then decide whether the price represents value to you. If you are disappointed then let the organiser know. No need to be aggressive and rude but every need to give honest feedback.

MickLL

Fishboy and Lawsyd like this.
  13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Mick, you've just perfectly explained WHY £250 is crazy cheap.

14. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

Not all photographers are loaded to the eyeballs with money sadly.

Lawsyd likes this.
  15. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

To the OP:
    If you want to be a good photographer just follow this course :

1. Get yourself a cheap camera but make sure it has a program dial that offers Program, Aperture priority, shutter speed priority and manual settings. Cross examine the sales assistant to make sure those are available plus exposure compensation

2. Commit to memory the golden rules : For landscapes get up earlier, for people get closer, for buildings hold the camera level and for action stay until everything is complete

3. Buy a basic photo manual , one example is ISBN 978-1-78067-335-6 but others exist

4 Take a lot of pictures and be very self critical. Ask the appraisal forum if you want help on an individual image but do not just post a link to a gallery and expect us to peruse hundreds of images.

5 Buy Amateur photographer and read Roger(H)'s article in "Final analysis" carefully noting the viewpoint chosen etc. If the image this week is a still life try to reproduce it.

That's it

16. Fishboy

Don't forget:

6. Stay in school, don't do drugs and eat your vegetables.

Cheers, Jeff

17. 0lybacker

If you want a reason why our Chancellor of the Exchequer & other Treasury Ministers together with the raft of Civil Servants at Treasury and at the Office for National Statistics make such heavy weather of running the UK economy it could be because corsets, if I recall correctly, were in the list of items driving the Retail Prices Index until recently.

18. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Fair comment - I have just checked the OP's profile - should have done that first - and realise I have just made myself look stupid

19. Fishboy

As stupid as the person who took over thirty photographs on Saturday and didn't notice the word 'demo' flash up on the screen in bright red every time, indicating that no memory card was loaded?

Besides, it was all good advice. Good advice, well presented and given in the right spirit is never stupid.

Cheers, Jeff

20. 0lybacker

Yep, doesn't time fly when you are enjoying yourself?! Did I remember Jeff Tucker correctly?

I agree. One of the best photography tutorials I have ever attended was a FOCUS freebie. Speaking of the Societies, I will put in a plug for the RPS here. I am not a member. Some of their regional days may be attended by non-members, sometimes for free but more usually for a nominal sum, £3 or £5. If it's a Qualification preparation event it may cost a bit more (£10? £15) to spectate but spectator places for those are much more in demand.

Of course, if you join a good photography club, you may get good 'free' tutorials pretty much every other week in exchange for your annual subscription. Cheers, Oly