1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why cameras shouldn't be pointed at the sun...

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by AndyTake2, Sep 3, 2017.

1. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Indeed, a small pain in using a CSC is remembering that the light path ends at the shutter curtain so you have to be careful that it's not pointing in the sun when carried, or has the lens cap on.

When we were kids, burning patterns on iced-lolly sticks using a magnifier and the sun was a popular game. Maybe people are less aware now that lens+sun + focus +time = fire.

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I've taken pictures with a high sun in the frame and no damage to camera or self. I think you'd have to keep the sun in frame for quite some time to cause damage.

4. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Some expensive repairs there, including that 600mm Canon with the destroyed aperture blades.

5. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

I well remember burning lolly sticks with a magnifier.
    That 600mm must have made the tech cry.
    As for your eyes, with all due respect, you have no idea if any long term damage has been done.
    I have used a compact camera through a handheld solar filter, but would not dream of pointing a camera at anything other than sunrise, sunset or an eclipse if my eyeballs were anywhere near the camera

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The last eclipse I watched as in a puddle, didn't have a camera with me as I was at work.

7. barry4

barry4 Member

[​IMG] It is possible sometimes, but not normally recommended :)

[​IMG]

8. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

P1000259 (2)web.JPG It really depends if the sun is diffused or not. I took two or three pictures on my Panasonic compact last Monday, when the sun was diffused by a Saharan dust cloud with no problems at all.