1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who was most influential in teaching you how to take pictures?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, May 14, 2012.

1. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Re: Who was most influential in teaching you how to take picture

Like most of the others, I was largely self taught to start with.
    But two of my my step fathers were in the film business, one as a Director and the other as a production Director. I taught my self to develop and print during the war with the help of scrounged paper from the studios.
    I read every book and magazine on photography at school; and after national service went to Photo college where I leant almost nothing new, but loved the whole experience.
    I am now well retired after a life time playing with the toys I love.

2. Rasha

Rasha Well-Known Member

My dad was an amateur photographer, had a fed 2, my brother saw me interested and helped me buy my own camera (it was an automatic canon, film camera) with lots of options. I got my own books, dug deeper, dismantled the fed 2, learned why it was damaged and fixed it, bought a fed 3, B&W films, friends gave me a push...Bought a Ricoh, my mom decided to help with a minolta tripod and so on :)

3. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Leonard Gaunt - Commonsense Photography. Approx 1970-71

I read that book from cover to cover to cover to cover.......
    It taught me so much.

Unfortunately much I have now forgotten.....

4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

self taught...then I came here and learned more and hopefully am getting better.
    Love experimenting which of course is an excellent way to learn...especially if you make a few mistakes along the way....;):D
    edit...lots of people influence me but no-one in particular apart from Roving Mike...more instructional than influential I suppose

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  5. Helander

Helander Well-Known Member

As a complete beginner I've been stumbling through on my own using various online resources, and now I'm here looking to improve.
    Ian Cameron has been an influence, currently working my way through his Transient Light book. Its good stuff.
    Another big influence is Mark Littlejohn, some may have heard of him. He took up photography in 2010, his work is breathtaking to me and I aspire to take photagraphs as good as these some day.
    Billy Currie is another. There's plenty of great landscape photographers I enjoy but these are just a couple that come to mind.

6. Guitarist

Guitarist Well-Known Member

Same here.

7. Beryl Allcoat

Beryl Allcoat Active Member

:) Admit it was I, before my art college days. Other influences have been Michael Freeman and Andy Rouse. Beryl

8. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Welcome Beryl, I've meet Andy Rouse, he takes amazing wildlife stuff. Mind you works hard for it. :)

Please post some of your shots in Appraisal Gallery if you feel brave. :D

9. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

10. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Found some developing dishing and contact printing frames in the house when I was about 10 (in the mid 60's), so started contact printing the 120 negatives that were kicking about in shoe boxes. At 14 started using the black & white darkroom at school. When I discovered that the world of photography was bigger than I'd imagined it was people like Robert Frank, Walker Evans and Eugene Atget who were my biggest influences and when I started shooting in colour I picked up on Stephen Shore and William Egglestone . . . . nowadays I find many photographers to admire but as for influences I think those I've mentioned above are the ones I continually refer back to.

11. Tooslow

Tooslow Well-Known Member

I have no one to blame but myself.

John

12. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Having fired a grumble at Damien, I will now join in with the spirit of the thread enquiry.

One big influence that I think I will always appreciate will be the gallery of the Association of Fashion, Advertising & Editorial Photographers (now the Association of Photographers) from its opening in the 1980's through to their move to Leonard Street. The exhibitions in that period were, in my view, mostly outstanding. Even the 'bad' one from the Annual Awards where there was a major judging controversy {everyone hated the Judges choices} and Valerie May mounted a 'Salon des Refusees' exhibition afterwards as a reprisal. It made us all think about judging and quality parameters and aesthetic choices, etc.

A great education and it was free. :D Sadly, they closed the Leonard St gallery last year. :(

I reckon I got a big part of my visual education there and it was very different to that in photo magazines and the photo society, both of which were probably also helpful in their own right.

13. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

That's easy; Wayne Glowacki, of the Winnipeg Free Press, who assisted
    me when buying my first SLR (K1000) and when I asked him about taking
    good pictures ... he replied; "shoot lots" ........ and I did/have :). He
    should have added; "... of good stuff":rolleyes:

Cheers,

Jack

14. Bejay

Bejay Well-Known Member

Self-taught as I progressed with more capable cameras; no-one in the family had any interest or skill in capturing anything other than the dreaded mis-framed and out-of-focus snapshot...

15. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's kind of the tricky part there :D

16. Gill.G

Gill.G Member

The SPI Foundation in Photography course. Without a doubt this has taught me how to take pictures far more successfully.