1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHO WANTS IN-CAMERA POST-CAPTURE PROCESSING?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

Well, we have vibrating phones, so why not cameras ;)

2. Tacitus

Tacitus Well-Known Member

Gimmicks, gimmicks, pointless gimmicks ... but I'm not likely to buy that sort of stuff, But whaddo I know? I still consider autofocus and TTL metering gimmicks.

3. bdr2

bdr2 Well-Known Member

Not functionality I'd use, but then I've never pressed the direct print button on the back of my DSLR either. Still, pointless features sell cameras - especially to people who don't know any better - so I'm expecting to see much more of this sort of thing.

4. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Well-Known Member

I actually find that feature quite useful sometimes. The last time was when I was photographing our drama group's dress rehearsal. Got home from the rehearsal about 11pm, and needed a selection of photos up in front of house by 7pm the next day - and had a full day's work at my day job in between.

So, rather than uploading to the PC, tweaking and then printing on my not too speedy Epson 1280, out came the Canon Selphy, picked the shots I wanted and pressed print. Job done and I still got to have a good night's sleep!

As far as in camera editing tools go, one thing I find with my DSLR is that pictures can sometimes look bad on the LCD (too much contrast) and fine when I upload them to a PC, so I've learned to hold fire a bit on what is a keeper and what should get deleted straight away. I'd be worried about accurately adjusting colour balance and levels based on the camera LCD.

5. bdr2

bdr2 Well-Known Member

I'm not saying that the function doesn't have it's place. I've never used it, but I can see that others may occasional find it helpful. However, does the direct print function really need its own dedicated button? I can think of several far more important functions that Canon have chosen to hide in the menu system of my 5D.

6. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

and as for wind on film and viewfinders the right way up....

7. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

Canon Selphy CP 710. I keep mine (and transport it) in a little case that also holds the paper and ribbons (it's dye sub so no nasty wet inks to leak everywhere!) as well as the power supply and chargers for the cameras. This case is 11" x 8 1/2" x 6" (case loaded with paper and ribbons for 108 prints)- the printer on its own is 7" x 5" x 2 1/2". It produces 6x4" prints for about 17p each (7dayshop prices) in about a minute. Prints either from memory cards (CF, SD or MS), PictBridge cameras or PC. The paper is printed with a postcard pattern on the reverse but can be marked by some post sorting machines - as can "real" postcards!

8. cpfc12

cpfc12 Well-Known Member

As some-one who has recently entered the "more serious" type of imaging recently, I would personally say no.
    I have just paid out for Elements 6 !

9. AntSmith

AntSmith Well-Known Member

No, the camera shouldn't try and solve problems that are already handled better at home on the computer - BUT if the camera did more to support work on the image later that would be really good...

...I wrote to Nikon to suggest they stuck a couple of gyroscopes in their bodies to measure tilt and pitch so photoshop could automate the perspective correction - but they didn't seem to understand the concept of people volunteering imrpovements...I just got an e-mail back saying they don't like to talk about the future...

10. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

you're only a photographer...what would you know about cameras :D

11. Matt_Hunt

Matt_Hunt Well-Known Member

Exactly.

12. mertonia

mertonia Well-Known Member

I think it is an excellent idea for people who only get their cameras out for holidays and special occasions and don't like to faff around on the computer. Anything that helps the infrequent photographer get a better final image must be a good thing?

peter

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

But won't they just shoot JPEG anyway?

14. mertonia

mertonia Well-Known Member

hi Nick
    i am sure you are correct, JPEG will be the normal shooting mode for fun photographers (and i do not mean that in a derogatory way). But as i understand it, the question posed suggested that this was just the beginning and in-camera post processing is likely to increase. As technology 'improves' what is presently limited to RAW hopefully will extend to JPEG which could be of some benefit to fun photographers, and hopefully improve their final image - and maybe they will take even more photographs, which in my opinion can only be a good thing.
    peter

15. Per

Per Well-Known Member

And I think this is inevitable, sadly.

I was in Bath this weekend for a Valentine break and the weather had brought out lots of infrequent users - I saw plenty of small Canon and Nikon plus the odd Sony.

They all followed the same approach - stand right in the best spot, take the picture (too quickly) and then remain on the spot for several minutes reviewing the picture, pressing lots of buttons, navigating menus etc. without any consideration for other photographers waiting for them to get out of the way... The inclusion of more post-processing options will just make this worse I fear.

16. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

I tend to tell them to just move their butt... :mad:

17. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

[tiresome pedagogue mode]That's one solution. The other is to not take the tired old hackneyed shot they are all taking and find another angle.[/tiresome pedagogue mode]

18. Per

Per Well-Known Member

Absolutely. The other is to walk more than half a mile from the carpark. Sadly, in places like Bath, even the more unusual views have a photographer in them somewhere!

19. AntSmith

AntSmith Well-Known Member

You can also choose to wait, or feature them in the image...unless I'm at home doing still life I try to avoid imposing myself on the world that presents itself to the lens - that means I never ask people to move out of the way of a picture or pick up plastic bottles from a beach scene just to sanitise the view... maybe that's just me though.... ;^D

20. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I said no. The amount I can do already with my K100d is plenty enough.