1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHO WANTS IN-CAMERA POST-CAPTURE PROCESSING?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Feb 16, 2008.

1. john_g

john_g Well-Known Member

I've got my hacksaw out and am busy trying to get my Paterson developing tank attached to my Canon T90. It's going to be awesome - imagine being able to take pictures, then develop them on the spot and see them immediately! Ok, so the enlarger mounted on the other side of the camera is going to make it slightly unbalanced but the benefits are going to make it worth it.

But seriously, why waste the time? I take mainly landscapes and have found the best way of working, and one that gets gasps of admiration from those that see my photos, is to take as many snaps as I want and then go to the computer and download pictures of the same place from Flickr. My photographs have improved out of all recognition since I adopted that work-flow.

Or, to put it another way, no - I have the option to post-process in my GX-10 but have never been remotely interested in exploring what it can do.

2. parisian

parisian Well-Known Member

I think I predicted (very tongue in cheek) that new models would have Photoshop included in the on-board software sometime last year. I thought it was ridiculous then and think it it ridiculous now.
    The last few years have times of wonder for photography but also times of dumbing down making capture easier than ever and output merely an afterthought. How on earth accuracy in processing can be achieved on a 3" LCD I don't know unless folk out there have eyesight that is a damn site better than mine.
    Photography used to be relatively simple, once the eternal triangle of shutter speed, aperture and ISO had been mastered alongside the basics of composition then we could set off relatively assured of bringing back the goods. Now we have to understand the intricacies of multifunctional cameras (the new swiss army knife?) but also the minefield of computing and image manipulation.
    Tom Lee in my latest book purchase suggests that, "Digital imaging is a monster, but it can be tamed." I agree entirely, it can be tamed and that journey is surely one of the joys of the modern game but it takes time and patience. More automation in camera means more shots lost while button pushing, more frustration as perfection isn't achieved immediately and queues 40 deep at the counter of the retailers as imperfect prints are examined and complained about.
    The willingness to learn has been lost in our quick fix society, everything has to be 'now'. These new cameras technically superb as they undoubtedly are; are bad news I am afraid.
    For those of us that care this latest move is symptomatic of the ongoing degradation of our art.

3. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

That's a big Nooooooooooooo!!!!!!! from me. :D

I have enough difficulty getting it right on a full size monitor let alone on a poxy camera screen... I simply don't think a reliable enough judgement could be made on any screen that's fitted to a normal size camera. We're often advised not to delete pictutres in camera for the very reason that the screens are inadequate for making these kind of judgement calls.

I suppose it might work if you had a 10x8 digital camera with full size live veiw screen though... ;)

Anyhow do we really want to faff about with exposure/saturation/whatever adjustments while taking pictures? How many great shots might we miss because we were fiddling with the curves... You can practically guarantee that the perfect moment of lighting or action will always occur right in the middle of a bit of editing. Yes, I know the designers will point out that it's intended for use when you've finished taking your pictures but let's face it it's almost certain that many people are going to be tempted to try and tweak that borderline shot there and then rather simply retake it. Equally if they can resist such temptation and wait 'til later then why not do it properly on a sensible size screen?...

I wouldn't say it's a gimmick but I do think it's a compliction that's largely unecessary and very likely to interrupt the smooth flow of one's picture making.

4. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

I'm in agreement with the majority. Most of the points I would make have already been made. A big fat NO from me.

5. mjc7uk

mjc7uk Well-Known Member

Would say "Nah"!

Can't see what the point of it, as the LCD on the back of the camera are far too small for such thing.

6. Woolliscroft

Woolliscroft Well-Known Member

I'm quite happy to take the film out and process it externally.

7. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

That'll be a NO then for all the reasons stated previously. I wonder if the manucturers understand what enthusiast photographers really want from a camera.

8. parisian

No, but they do like bragging about their skills. :(

9. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

Ah, but you have to realise that the money is not with the enthusiast photographers but with Mr & Mrs Average who really do need this type of in-camera processing - however, more importantly for sales is what colour the camera is - pink ones sell better than blue ones so the girl in Superdrug informed me :rolleyes:

10. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

I really cannot see any point in it whatsoever :D Definitely the most ludicrous add-on junk yet :(

11. Burgy

Burgy In the Stop Bath

What would be useful would be to create and edit IPTC captions and associate them with images in camera. Other than that No...

12. parisian

Vibrators? :D

13. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

I take a little Canon postcard printer on my hols so I can create unique (and often personalised) cards for those at home as well as being able to do prints for people on the spot. For this reason, a little bit of PP in camera would be useful - B&W conversion and horizon straightening mainly - with cropping as well. I can do some of this in camera on the D200.

14. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

How big is this little printer? You got any links, might be interesting.

15. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Yo be careful Erm, that e-mail from a 'little printer' might be BigWill!

16. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Canon Selphy...

17. turbulentwheat

turbulentwheat Well-Known Member

:eek: *hands up* I do

I hate to make time sitting in front of a pc and paffing around with photos. The more I can do in-camera the better and if I'm not satisfied with the results then there's the pc..

I wouldnt like gimmicky stuff like multi-star points etc then that IS naff but proper adjustments hell yes! :D

18. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Sorry but I don't see the logic of your stance. You don't want to sit in front of a PC faffing about with photos yet would be prepared to do the self same same thing in the camera though. :D

Faffing about is faffing about whether you do it on a PC or on the back of your camera....... and it's gonna be a hell of a lot easier, quicker and accurate on a PC...

Perhaps you'd be better off with film, then someone else can do the processing...

19. turbulentwheat

turbulentwheat Well-Known Member

or outside in a meadow or downtown at a cafe, preferable in many instances to being cooped up in a back room :)

as for film...no. I could never afford all the wasted and rubbish shots!

p.s. Hasnt nikon brought out a couple of new perspective control lenses - horribly expensive but what a handy piece of glass to have at hand on site.

20. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Well that's a fair point....... on the other hand that's valuable picture taking time going to waste!!! :eek:

:D

Been there.......... still doing that..... :D