1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who DOESN'T read AP?

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Roger Hicks, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I'm not a subscriber.
    I've been buying AP more or less every week since the 1950s. My problem is that I tend to let them hang around the house, and my house is now very cluttered with APs. Some covers are quite eye-catching, some were quite revealing - at least by today's standards. I also used to have "The Guardian" delivered but then we had a period of very high inflation, (3 pay rises in a year!) and newspaper prices went up much quicker than my salary, so I stopped buying "The Guardian". Some time after this, I bought the BJP regularly when Geoffrey Crawley was editor, and I guess I learnt more from his articles than from anywhere else. Then the BJP changed, and I ceased being a subscriber. I do check out other magazines, but tend to feel that they're aimed at people new to owning a DSLR or whatever. Currently, I'm possibly getting back to film (Retina IIIC purchased since Xmas), and have bought two Leitz V35 enlargers in the last few months, (& several enlarger lenses) and they really are putting pressure on my clutter. At least I've now finished scanning my late mother's slide collection - I even found my 1st wedding photos, and didn't we look young....

2. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I have been reading it since the 40's with only a few gaps when living abroad. and a few times when I was more cash strapped than usual.
    One way or another, it is packed with photography related information and brings to your attention things that you might well miss on going about your normal daily life. Of course not everything is of personal interest, and much is repeated (with updates and new angles) following some sort of annual cycle.

It is not a learned Journal in the way BJP once was, nor could it be considered a window on fine Art, nor any other sort of art. It is very much a generalist publication. It hovers just above the median point of expertise in almost every photographic interest. So that it is a useful entry point for most lines of photographic enquiry, or a starting point to follow new interests. It rarely achieves a master class status in anything.

Its advertising pages are a window on to what is available, both on line and in stores, and establishes something of a price point for those on the hunt for new kit.

It is something that I would rather have, than not.

steveandthedogs and Roger Hicks like this.
  3. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

That pretty much sums up my position as well.

But I do wish that this Forum was restricted to those who are qualified by virtue of being AP readers. However, I suppose that the real reason that AP bother with a forum like this is that they see it as a cheap form of advertising the magazine to a potential readership - so restricting it to existing readers would be counter-productive.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  4. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Do you know of any magazines that impose that rule, Eric? Cannot think of one myself. Cheers, Oly

5. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Also I have always believed that selling space on the forum itself was a nice little earner

6. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

As the forum does not spend much time discussing the Magazine. I hardly thing it would exist for long if it limited its membership to Magazine readers. It would also be extremely difficult to monitor, as Readership has always been far greater than the actual purchasers of magazines or on line subscriptions.
    The Forum is certainly part of the universal AP community, and must direct a certain number of forum members and visitors in to becoming AP readers. There is inevitably a two way fertilisation of readership and forum members. Not to mention a cross pollination of Ideas.

steveandthedogs and RogerMac like this.
  7. PMurrell

PMurrell Well-Known Member

I pick up a copy most Tuesdays from my local Sainsbury. A staff member often puts one aside for me.

8. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

At "Photographica" earlier today (Sunday), there was someone from the AP offering next Tuesday's magazine for just £1. I declined his kind offer, as I support my local newsagent by buying it there every week.

9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

If you are that regular,why not purchase a sub. Its cheaper, and here in the counrtyside near Nottingham it arrives by post over 90% on the Saturday morning before the Tuesday appearence in Sainsbury. Also as a subscriber, I like to think that I have the moral right to view the website with an ablocker running. After all I see the decent adds in the mag without the irritating Giffs.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  10. pachinkofan

pachinkofan Well-Known Member

I very rarely do, combination of lack of time, lack of local places to get it (other than when I'm "in town") but generally I've stopped really buying many magazines at all but did trial "readly" this weekend which might offer a solution... Will see