1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who DOESN'T read AP?

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Roger Hicks, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Some forum members seem to read AP very little or not at all; others, intermittently. If you frequent the forum but don't read AP, why don't you read it? If you do read AP, what attracts you to it?

Cheers,

R.

2. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I read AP because it's full of pretty pictures with lots of bright colours that I can point at and drool.

Cheers, Jeff

PS - I can also learn stuff about photography and the content is usually of a good standard.

3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Jeff,

Maybe it's the people who just drool, without taking or looking at pictures, who don't read it...

Cheers,

R.

4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I don't read it as much as I used to. Every week at one time, but now like most other things n life I seem to want instant gratification- I'll look t up on the nternet.
    And the daft thing is I think it's quicker doing it that way and of course it isn't....

Roger Hicks likes this.
  5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I too get the impression that many forum correspondents do not read AP.

Of course subscribers get it 4 days before it hits the shops which might explain some things.

Why do I read it? Generally spoken the content is interesting and informative. It isn't always joined up. The editorial (Jan 21) in the Garden Bird special promised "the good news is that you don't need lots of expensive gear .." but I think that only one of the (very lovely) examples was taken without use of a 500 F4.

By the way I liked how your article in that edition fitted the bird theme even if not exactly "garden" - and I must say I hadn't before looked to correlate your articles with the cover theme but I see that light fantastic (28 Jan) and (bending the theme a bit) low light (4 Feb) also fit well!

6. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Having trouble with my "i"s this afternoon

7. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I used to read it weekly but the change in our circumstances has meant that magazines of any description have temporarily fallen right off my radar.

Zou and Roger Hicks like this.
  8. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I don't but any magazines these days as I can easily find all the photographic reading and information I want on the internet.

9. lisadb

lisadb Well-Known Member

I'd don't subscribe any longer as I wasn't reading the articles properly (other things getting in the way) and I was ending up with piles of mags that usually ended up in recycling bin. Did get online mags for a while but haven't renewed. o_O

Catriona likes this.
  10. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

I was a regular for a year or two back in the 1970's when I was a teenager and trying to get to grips with photography, the magazine was so much bigger in those days (or so it seemed), and had lots of "how to . . . " articles which was what I needed at the time, but eventually I grew out of it. I still buy magazines when there's enough to interest me, but they tend to be of the 'arty' type . . . Aperture, Source, that sort of thing! And of course they never get thrown out and are still constantly browsed years down the line :(

11. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Same here. I must say I enjoy the RPS magazines I get periodically. The latest Contemporary Photography winter edition was fascinating especially the shots by Livia Palmiero on Italian immigrants in North London. Excellent series of photographs. I guess I'm going to have to renew my subscription there. I'm sorry, but little in the AP magazine gets my attention. I'm not into new equipment (I'm getting too old). I did like reading your analyses and found them interesting. I really do like to learn about other photographers, I've found, and get inspiration from them.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  12. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I do subscribe but to the digital version, so unlike Pete I get mine on the same day as they are available in the shops. Some editions I skip through very quickly as there is little of interest, others take much longer. Being a weekly publication that covers all types of amateur photography, this is too be expected. I do however prefer it to the monthly photography mags.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  13. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Same, plus it became less and less relevant to my photography.

14. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Time and cost.

Cost and time.

And space.

And the very many alternatives on the interwebby.

15. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I rathern like the articles on the back page. Yesterday I passed the picture of the snowbound Louvre to my wife ( a great lover of Paris) so she could see it too [/crawl]

Roger Hicks likes this.
  16. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I subscribe to AP and BJP. I see these as being complementary rather than competative.

BJP prints more challenging pictures and some, to my eyes are just rubbish, but they are printed well on nice paper. BJP is suitable for a coffee table. Its also getting a bit pricey.

AP tends to print 'pretty' pictures although Roger often puts something at the back which encourages a bit more thought. The instructional articles and equipment reviews are also of interest. AP is a well balanced publication which is successfully aimed at APs.

I don't buy PP but see a friend's copy. They are in a state of change at the moment having just absorbed DP. They may become a serious monthly competitior to AP as they target the same amateur photographers as AP and their first combined copy is quite a good effort.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  17. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I've more or less stopped buying magazines to save money.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  18. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

You could get another thread using that picture as an example. "How do we share credit, or blame, between architects and photographers of architectural subjects."

19. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

I stopped subscribing in 2014 because the contents had no more relevance to my photography. Way back in 2007-2008 there were a couple of interesting articles on abstract photography - since then nothing of interest to me. There are also, as OAP, certain financial restraints to be taken into account these days.

Lynn

20. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I'm kind of wondering how you know there are no articles to interest you if you don't read it? ;)

Roger Hicks likes this.