1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whiteadder River, Scottish Borders

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by dr_eyehead, Dec 11, 2017.

1. dr_eyehead

dr_eyehead Well-Known Member

I've been taking photos of this river stretching from Paxton to Chirnside for the past year and so and it's one of the wildest, most natural and beautiful stretches of rivers I've ever seen. It's very complex and constantly evolving, and when the water is low you can get in with wellies and get some nice vantage points. It's also teaming with natural wildlife, but I'm more into landscape. Most of the time when I go there I can almost imagine the rest of the modern world hasn't developed and it's hundreds of years ago, pure untouched natural beauty and solitude.

I've built up a collection of photos from just about every position I can get to and have lots of very nice ones that I'm immensely proud of which you can see if you check out twitter page @scotbeasts I'm going to bring my website up to date with these soon.

I was aiming to complete my collection with the full 4 seasons and I have been waiting for an opportunity to get some nice wintry, snowy scenes and the most amazing opportunity came up yesterday, beautiful fresh snow and partially frozen rivers. It was magical.

Sadly though an untimely tragedy bestruck my camera the day before when I was down there. I was taking photos and balancing on the edge of a stretch of the river that doesn't normally flow and I thought I was standing on firm ground... but I wasn't. The ground went from my right leg and the water was deeper than I thought and so I ended up falling backwards into ice cold, stagnant water along with my camera, which has not survived.

It took me 15 minutes to walk home, freezing to death, trying to walk as fast as I could to generate heat. I had to walk across a stretch of the river up to my balls in order to make the fastest way home. It was no laughing matter, however in hindsight it's an amusing anecdote to tell. Nonetheless I can put in to words how completely heartbroken I am to have missed this opportunity.

I think I may actually hold the record for most photos of this stretch of river taken, when you take in to account all the bad ones and some of the mega-panoramas I've taken.

Never realised until I moved here how much I love river photography. I've learned a few things along the way and techniques.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+StuartSeaton

2. tonyfromalnwick

tonyfromalnwick Active Member

It is a very nice area. We frequently visit, just a short drive from Alnwick, and were at Paxton House Christmas fair a couple of weeks ago.