1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

white balance or iso

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by tommckibbin, Sep 3, 2012.

1. tommckibbin

tommckibbin Member

Although still new at this malarkey i am not happy with pic quality in auto or semi auto modes. recently taking most of my pics in manual or programme mode. If in programme mode when camera still selects aperture and shutter speed which is more important to get right, wb or iso. By the way my pic quality is far better although sometimes under or overexposed. in the auto modes pics looked ok on camera screen but when moved to compute they were very dull and not very colourful. Told you i would start causing headaches. am not saying going to set wb or iso, am setting both but if one can be a bit out which may it be.

2. Bob Maddison

Bob Maddison Well-Known Member

The ISO value is forgving, within very wide margins. The WB should be about right. However, if you shoot in RAW mode, then you can make very precise corrections to either or both. However, I belong to the school that says "get it right from the beginning and keep the corrections for minor tweaking of the photo".

For most general photography, an ISO value between 100 and 400 should give you good results. I use ISO200 as my default. In general Auto White Balance (AWB) does a very good job, but it can be fooled. It normally sets the WB in accordance with the brightest area in the scene, but if there is a large area of colour there can be problems. Sunsets are a case in point where AWB will give you a washed out picture. In this case, set WB to Sunlight or Daylight depending on conditions and this will also cover most situations outdoors. If you are clever you can use Custom WB and this will give you a very "neutral" scene; but if your are really clever, you can adjust the WB manually to give a warmer or a colder look to the photo.

3. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

I presum we are talking about your FZ45?

You certainly want to keep control of ISO on a bridge camera with a small sensor. Even 400ISO from what I have seen can pick up noise.

Raw shooting might be a issue because the shot to shot delay might be quite high and annoying.

As for WB you can use the selection feature which allows you to point the camera at a white surface in a scene then use that as the setting level. You could carry a small piece of white card to help with tuning the WB.

Try this out at home in using indoor lighting which is always way below daylight in terms of WB. ie very orange.

If you are going to shoot say in low light condition try practicing slow shutter shooting thus keeping the ISO as low as possible. The camera has anti-shake. So shutter speed of 1/3 or 1/4 should be possible.

To give you a idea even their newest model (actually there is a later version but same sensor) FZ150 has a noise ceiling of 132ISO. So noise on that model creeps in at 200ISO and above.

Hope this helps. :)

4. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I see from your profile that you're using a Pany FZ45, a small (1/2.3", 6x4.5mm) sensor bridge camera. I would suggest that you try to use the minimum ISO (80) whenever possible, to minimise electronic noise in your pictures, but you may need to raise it a bit under low light conditions, e.g. indoors, or when using the long end of the zoom, or to avoid motion blur with fast moving subjects.

5. AlanClifford

AlanClifford Well-Known Member

The title and the quote make it sound like white balance and iso are, somehow, considered to be alternatives. That makes it difficult to understand what the question really is.

6. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Hopefully the OP will come back to us.

But it looks like they are asking if WB or ISO can cause poor image performance Myself and the others have tried to explain both will make odd results or cause issues with image output.

Hopefully they understand that raw shooting only allows you to fix the WB.

If noise is in the image in raw it is in the image. All that can be done is abit of reduction which is not as good as shooting at a lower ISO.

7. tommckibbin

tommckibbin Member

have never used raw. not that clued up yet. it is fz45.

8. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

ISO should be low on these, I got one small sensor camera and I would say that quality starts to suffer when it goes over 200. As for bland contrast, I usually keep this camera at -1/3 stop as it gives a bit more punch. This might be diferent but I would try taking the same picture at -1/3, 0 and +1/3 and look at them on the computer, it just might do the trick. You will need to us some other mode than auto, do you have program mode?

9. tommckibbin

tommckibbin Member

yes i am now mainly using programme and manual mode. it was using auto and aperture and shutter priority modes when pics were showing up dull on compute but not on camera. now, using programme and manual pics on the whole are better but odd ones under or over exposed hence question about wb and iso. pics do start goin iffy when iso over 400 hence my pic uploaded.