1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which second hand Alpha (a mount) to go for?

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by mmountain, Jun 9, 2017.

1. mmountain

mmountain Member

Hi Everyone

Looking for some advice on a second hand camera.

I have a budget of around £400, but would prefer to pay <£300 so I can get a decent memory card.

Looking to buy body only

Upgrading from my Sony Alpha 100 and have a bunch of A mount lenses.

Looking at A58 A68 or A77 (Mark 1). The A77 really appeals because of the weather sealing and the faster fps, it's also a ton cheaper, but it's getting very long in the tooth. Any others worth considering?

Any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks

Mike

2. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

£100 seems a big budget for a memory card - most of the ones in that price bracket are around 128GB which is pretty massive for a stills camera...

3. mmountain

mmountain Member

Yeah, looking at around £50 for the card - but reasonably flexible. I have a good compact flash card in the a100 but that'll be redundant.

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Used A65. Same sensor as the A77 but in a smaller body, lower cost as well. £100 for a memory card? Get ye to Wilko, they sell Integral memory at reasonable prices-from £6 upward.

5. mmountain

mmountain Member

Went for an A77 body from camera jungle (I can return free in 14 days if I don't like it FOC). @ £290, excellent condition. The couldn't give me the shutter count, but I can find that out myself. Also has 12 month warranty. I liked the fact it's weather sealed and has 12fps shooting capability plus a lot of other advantages:
    http://cameradecision.com/compare/Sony-SLT-A65-vs-Sony-SLT-A77

Also couldn't find an A65 for less on Ebay and don't get a warranty - true the ebay ones come with a lens, but I have those already.

Welcome further posts though - like I said I can return it FOC if something better turns up in the next 2 weeks.

M

6. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

I just got an A57 for £220, post free, off Ebay, only 3K shutter ops. already have a Minolta 5D and Sony A200, one will probably have to go. Probably the A200, the 5D was the last of the Minoltas, had a few of those over the years from the 700 onwards, still have a 5000 somewhere.

7. mmountain

mmountain Member

OK - so the A77 is being sent back - 169,000 shutter actuations (lifetime is 150,000), despite being in almost mint condition

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Shutter life doesn't work like that - with two identical cameras, one could fail at 300,000 and the other at 1. The figure they quote is a mean time to failure. You're mint camera could easily have been ok for half a million shots, the next one could fail at a couple of thousand. Overall condition of the camera tells you how it has been looked after, which is almost certainly more important.

peterba likes this.
  9. mmountain

mmountain Member

Which statistically means it's much more likely to fail.

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Which means statistically you don't actually have a clue unless you can see the distribution of failures.
    Many shutters fail on very low counts largely due to lack of use - it's generally a far bigger problem than overuse, until that overuse becomes VERY heavy indeed.

peterba likes this.
  11. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

I got lucky with a good deal on a Sony A58 which is 20MP and works well for me with only 28384 shutter usage. :)

I can understand your concern because read somewhere else that a A77 died at around 160,000 :eek:

The A77 design is now nearly 6 years old, so that is 169,000 over 6 years that is 2347 shots per month!

A 32GB card on my A58 holds 1107 images in RAW+JPEG so the owners was knocking out nearly or over 64GB per month.

Anyone thinks that is high? Might have been a action shooter? :)

12. mmountain

mmountain Member

If the mean failure count is 150,000 shutter actuations, the the further over the mean count you are the more likely it is to fail. Of course there will be edge cases. That's how statistics work.

13. mmountain

mmountain Member

I did wonder if video recording adds to the actuation count.

14. P_Stoddart

I think if a buyer got any make of camera and it failed its meantime shutter level you might have a claim even out of warranty for misleading description.

Because you are making a purchase decision on that fact given by the makers. Plus I think a maker would be unhappy at one of their products not living up to it's quote specs.

Few years back Sony had a sensor production issue and did free of charge fix for all cameras effected even cameras way outside their warranty.

15. P_Stoddart

Yes, but only once for each video taken. Video is like a long exposure in photography for the sensor.

Shutter curtain is lifted, sensor energized then read 30fps or 60fps depending on system/settings within the camera.

the end of the video the curtain comes back down. that adds a count of 1.

16. mmountain

mmountain Member

There is a chance that the exif data could be wrong, but I thought it wasn't worth the risk. Real shame given the short time I played with it I really liked it.

17. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Nope. That's why they don't quote a shutter life...

18. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Problem with shutter stats is that (at least last time I looked at them, which is probably 5 years ago) the distribution is far from even - there are lots of outliers at each end, far more than you might expect from any more typical distribution. Which is why I personally have always completely ignored shutter count as a pretty unhelpful guide.

19. mmountain

mmountain Member

I personally view it like mileage on a car, the internal mechanism has had a lot more use and therefore more susceptible to failure

20. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

With a budget of around £50, one option, currently, would be a Sandisk 128GB SDXC 80 mB/sec class 10 for £44.99 (delivered) from Picstop.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with Picstop, other than as a customer for the past 7+ years.