1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which photo paper is best for HD Images printing?

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by Andrew Wood, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Andrew Wood

Andrew Wood Member

2. lisadb

lisadb Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I think you're entirely missing the point of your own question ! :(. The details you have quoted are mainly relating to the size of the paper which is determined by the maximum size of paper your new printer can cope with. Quality of print is partially dependent on the type of paper you use which again is determined by the type of ink you are using but also by your photography and editing skills. What type of canon printer do you have ? :)

PS you're expecting a lot if you think anyone is going to go through all the different papers on the links you've attached !! :confused:

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The printer will be set up to use Canon papers. Depending on the printer model other manufacturers may provide profiles for their papers. The main choice to make is finish (glossy,semi-gloss,matt etc.) and weight as paper comes in different thicknesses. Canon do a range of papers. I currently use Permajet mainly because I buy in boxes of 100 and use the boxes for storage. Canon papers come in packets which are less suitable for reuse. See the Premier Ink and Supplies advert in AP for what is readily available.

Size wise I tend to use 6x4, 7x5, A4 and some A3+ (biggest my printer will take). I like margins so image size can be anything less than paper size. With larger sheets you can also print more than one picture per page. Your canon printer will have come with print studio pro or similar which will do layouts. It is a plugin that works with DPP, Lightroom and doubtless other editing software.

4. Andrew Wood

Andrew Wood Member

Thanks for your help. Now I am clear about my requirements which paper should I use for my printer.

5. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Pete covered nearly everything, except colour. Some papers are warm toned and some cool. Which you choose will depend on on the image you are printing as some will benefit from one and not the other. That combined with finish and weight will all have an effect on the finished product.

6. Andrew Wood

Andrew Wood Member

Thank you for your help.

7. lisadb

lisadb Well-Known Member

That's rubbish ! :confused: there are hundreds of types of paper available besides glossy. Depends how you want the finished print to look.

8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

In case anyone wonders there was a new member post early this morning advocating use of glossy paper. It was by-lined with a commercial link which is, I guess, why it isn't there any more.

9. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Thanks Pete. I was getting a bit confused.

10. lisadb

lisadb Well-Known Member

Ooh, it's gone ......! o_O