1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Nikon?

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by ipri, Oct 29, 2017.

1. ipri

ipri New Member

Hi...I have had my current camera for some years now. It's a Sony NEX3. I'm pleased with my progress from complete novice to quite comfortable in Manual .I have had a look in John Lewis at 3 Nikons. from £500ish to £700 ish . ( D5300 / D3400 / D5600 ). I presume these are all similar in lens and general features. I'm not too fussed over stuff like wifi and the rest which I suppose bumps the cost up.

Will the kit lens on these compare well to my current sony 18-55mm in terms of quality? How do the more expensive Sony cameras compare to the Nikons?

Any advice appreciated . Ian

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Which Nikon?

SP.

(Sorry, couldn't resist, even though the F is a better camera).

Cheers,

R.

3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I suggest that you do not rush into a decision. You could spend a lot of money on changing systems for little benefit.
    First of all the kit lenses may well be similar and not be an upgrade.
    DSLRs have probably almost reached their apogee. Mirrorless may be the future preferred cameras.
    I have quite an investment in Nikon DSLRs and lenses and I do not intend to go mirrorless in the short term, however if I was already using mirrorless then I would be looking at more modern upmarket mirrorless. Its not quite the thing to write in this Nikon room but I have to say that if I was in your position I would be saving more money and then buying something very very expensive from Sony.

4. Learning

What about that horrible focussing wheel? I would prefer a Leica M3. (with new light seals of course)

5. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

What does the Sony not do that you would like to be able to do?

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I would imagine the absence of a viewfinder would be an adequate reason. As would a very restricted ISO range. Any of the listed Nikon bodies will resolve both and the Nikon 18-55 will have the same field of view as the Sony equivalent. I have never used any of the suggested bodies so I can't really add anything further.

7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hi Ian, the important thing in choosing a camera is the handling by which I mean the experience of using it. The gaps between mirrorless and mirrored cameras is narrowing all the time. A mirrored camera gives you an optical viewfinder which I personally prefer but is generally bigger and heavier than its CSC equivalent. When CSC were new a DSLR had significant focussing advantages for moving subjects but recent sensor developments have greatly closed the gap. The electronic viewfinders have improved a lot too.

Looking at camera specifications the important thing is whether the camera does what you want to do with it. One thing that goes roughly with price is build quality and hence weight. Most amateurs I guess treat their (expensive) cameras with care so rough and tumble doesn't come into normal use but as a working tool a camera needs to be able to stand knocks.

Results at the end of the day, irrespective of how many switches the camera has, depends on the lenses and with any interchangeable lens system the lenses tend to become the main investment over time. The main consideration is format.

ipri likes this.
  8. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Yeah, but it's pretty.

An M3 isn't a Nikon, and besides, what do you mean by light seals? I can't think of any replaceable light seals on an M3. It doesn't need them: it's made properly.

The only new Nikon I've ever bought was my Df. Well worth the money but more than the OP wanted to spend.

Cheers,

R.

9. Learning

I have a recollection that some early M3 cameras had a light leak issue. Perhaps I am wrong; it was a long time ago, and long before I could afford one.

10. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

If I were you, I would actually stick with Sony.
    The mirrorless system has now established itself as being good, and unless you have specific needs such as buying an 800mm lens for £16k, I doubt there is anything that Nikon can do that would be better than the Sony system.
    Having said that, the only way is to try them all out. You will be told that Nikon and Canon have the greatest range of accessories, but that is only important if you intend to buy them.
    Don't rule out Canon either - as a system it is probably superior to Nikon in many ways (3rd party support for one) but they do tend to vie for pole position in many areas.

Done_rundleCams, Learning and ipri like this.
  11. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

If you decide to switch to Nikon, I’d advise you to avoid the D3400, as it doesn’t have a sensor cleaning system. Digital camera sensors attract dust, because of static electricity, and it’s all too easy for dust to get in when you change lenses. Perhaps a decade ago, Olympus developed a system for shaking the sensor to remove dust, and other manufacturers followed suit. I think the D3400 is the first Nikon DSLR launched this decade without such a system. I haven’t heard Nikon give an explanation of why they omitted it. I’ve had contamination on the sensors of my D90 and D800 despite the sensor cleaning system. It’s troublesome and expensive to remove it, so I wouldn’t want to buy an interchangeable-lens camera that wasn’t designed to minimize the problem. I think the D3300 is much the same camera as the D3400 except with a sensor cleaning system, but without Bluetooth.

When I was choosing a DSLR to replace my Pentax manual focus SLR outfit, I avoided the D3000 because it lacked automatic exposure bracketing. I value this as a very convenient way of maximizing my chances of getting a good exposure when shooting hand-held. (On a tripod, I usually take individual shots, check the histogram, adjust the exposure and shoot again until I believe I’ve nailed the exposure.)

I also avoided the D5000 because it lacked the depth-of-field preview button I was used to on my Pentax. I’ve since found that I rarely use that facility on a DSLR; I prefer to guess, check on the monitor what I’ve taken, and shoot again if necessary. But with hindsight the D90 was well worth the extra cost and weight because it has 2 command dials, so I can use one to adjust aperture or shutter speed, and the other to adjust exposure compensation. However, I would have liked the D5000’s tilting monitor, particularly for close-up shots low on a tripod (sadly my D800 also lacks that feature).

I think you still gain automatic exposure bracketing by upgrading from the D3000 to the D5000 series, and gain a second command dial with the D7000 series, whilst the D5000 series and the D7500, but not the D7200, have tilting monitors.

Chris

ipri likes this.
  12. Zak52

Zak52 Well-Known Member

As others have advised, think carefully before changing systems as the costs are high. I have owned a series of Nikon DSLR DX cameras and have been well satisfied with all of them. Nikon produce some excellent low priced lenses including the 35mm F1.8G, the 18-140mm VR and the 18-55mm VRII.

ipri likes this.
  13. Learning

Not to mention the newish 200-500 f5.6. Not cheap but certainly low cost for what it can do.

14. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Ian,

If you're not unhappy with the results from the Sony, why not just continue up the Sony ladder of cameras? After all, you're familiar with the
    menu system and, if you need better glass for something particular that you want to shoot, check out some Sony glass or some of the Sigma
    lenses?

OOC, what do you, generally, shoot, subject wise, and why do you think that changing manufacturers would improve the quality of images?

Cheers .... from a photo retailers POV :)

Jack

15. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Ah, the poster doesn't need to upgrade, well unless they are buying from you:D.

16. Learning

Jack is in Canada. I suspect that ipri is not.

17. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Kill the joke, why don't you?:(

18. Done_rundleCams

I've a few pieces of kit to folks from the UK, Learning ;)

Cheers,

Jack

19. Done_rundleCams

I have a sneaking suspicion that Ian shan't be responding to this thread, any how, Nimbus,
    so, me thinks, the joke wouldn't be going anywhere ;)

Cheers,

Jack

20. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

Its all part of the fun of photography when buying a new camera although I shall never buy another one, I reckon most cameras now have reached their peak, if I was to ever buy another camera it would be the weight of it that would be the big decider. My main outfit has always been Nikon but other makes are just has good, lenses are the most important item and careful consideration must be taken into this. Think carefully before you splash the cash.......

Done_rundleCams and AndyTake2 like this.