1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Nikon...

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by LordWotsit, Oct 16, 2017.

1. LordWotsit

LordWotsit Member

Hi all I am wanting to buy a DSLR,
    I have read that the D3400 is actually not as good as the D3300 is this correct?
    I have been looking at one of the above but have also looked at the D5300/5500/5600.
    I would like to try Macro & landscape.
    Any help would be most appreciated and please suggest any other models that would be worth looking at.
    Thanks in advance

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I would doubt that you would be able to discern any differences from the outputs of any of the above cameras.

The D3400 has a reduced specification by comparison with it's predecessor. I wanted a crop frame body to partner my D610 and bought a used D3200 for £140, which turned out to have well below 1000 actuations when I checked it. Again I would doubt if there is any clear difference in the results from this camera and the newer more expensive models with 24mp. It does what I want it to do, produce a decent A3 print. Mind I am using lenses which I regard as better than the kit lenses sold with cameras.

Learning likes this.
  3. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I'd echo nimbus' comments. Having looked at a comparison of the 3300/340/5600 I doubt you's see much difference in the resulting image. The main difference seems to be in some of the 'control' options available. The 5600 for instance has a more adbvanced exposure meter and AF system (which may help with moving subjects). The two 3xxxx series cameras probably have more beginner oriented help screens. Between the 3300 and 3400 the difference is quite minor and unlikely to be an issue in use.

Depending on your budget and intent I'd be more inclined toward the 5600. The 3xxx series are more suited to the very inexperienced and/or casual user. The 5600 aims at those with a more enthusiast/hobbyist approach and is therefore a little better specified in certain key areas (see above). That said it's still quite beginner friendly.

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

For macro and landscape any of the recent DX models will be good unless you really want to print landscape murals. For huge landscape prints then I would suggest a D8xx series FX camera. You would not benefit getting a D850 over a second hand D800 for that purpose. I would expect a D3300 or D3400 to be every bit as good as a D500 for those static shots.The very expensive models like the D5, D850,and D500 come into their own for action photography. If you intend buying that new Nikon 10-20 economy zoom then check compatibility of cameras.
    For lenses on DX cameras I would suggest the 16-80 or older 16-85 over the bog standard 18-55. For macro the 105 f2.8 over the shorter focal length macro lenses.
    On a limited budget I would buy a D3300 and the most appropriate lenses that you can afford. It is not unusual to spend more on a lens than a camera. Also a tripod and focussing slide (the latter for macro) would be useful if you are dedicated enough to carry them.

5. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

As well as my full frame cameras I do use a D3300 quite often it has the 18-55mm lens on all the time, it gives good results, its light and its a Nikon, I bought it from new at a discount price and I do believe its still available, it does what it says it can do on the box as to speak........extra cash is always well spent on better lenses than camera bodies......

6. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I bought my D3200 primarily for use with my 70-200mm f4, it is a lot lighter than carrying a 300mm round to use with the D610 as I would be carrying the 70-200 anyway, the bonus being the stabilization.