1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which lens? (OM)

Discussion in 'Olympus Chat' started by Barry Reid, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Barry Reid

Barry Reid Member

I am going to ‘borrow’ an OM-4/4ti off eBay for a bit of play. It’s one of the cameras I wanted way back when I first got into this photo-nonsense and I can afford it now, unlike in 1991...

Question is sensibly priced prime lens or two will get the best out of it? I’m thinking along the lines of a 35/85 type pairing. Nothing too obscure or tricky to sell as it’s (probably) just a short break from my Contax fixation.

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The cheapest and very good prime is the 50mm f1.8 Zuiko. The 35mm Zuiko is excellent, but relatively rare. Rather than an 85mm I would go for a 100mm f2.8 Zuiko, good performer and costing less than an 85mm.

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I'll second the 100mm. It's a smashing lens. The 24mm f2.8 is also very good.

4. Barry Reid

Barry Reid Member

Thanks for the prompt responses. Quite liking the idea of going 24/50/100.

5. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

How can you "borrow" a lens from eBay?

6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Buy it for £50; use it for three or four months; sell it for £60. I've done it a few times ;)

Barry Reid likes this.
  7. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I see, same as I borrow from car-boots then flog them on eBay :)

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  8. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I have never seen any half-way decent camera equipment at sensible prices in any car-boots locally. They ask the earth even for Zeniths.

9. Barry Reid

Barry Reid Member

This exactly! I'll keep the OM4 play with it for a bit and then move it along.

10. Barry Reid

Barry Reid Member

It's definitely getting harder to find bargains. Used to get decent prices on Trips and the odd SLR or lens a few year back but very rarely now. I think a the bulk of older, working condition, film cameras have come back into the market by now.

11. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Just make sure you have plenty of batteries if it is not the ti!

12. Barry Reid

Barry Reid Member

It is an OM-4 ti - just picked up a user one with a 50/1.4 to get me started. Looking forward to having a play next weekend! A 24mm is next, in a month or two unless some crazy bargain pops up.

13. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

There's still the odd one out there - I picked up an almost mint Vito II for a tenner and a pre-war Bessa for a fiver at a car boot last summer. But yes, there's a lot of over-priced rubbish too.

Adrian

14. Barry Reid

Barry Reid Member

Well, I’m in the Olympus club now. My OM4ti landed today and everything seems to work, thankfully. It has a bit of wear to the corners but it's not too bad so looks like a decent deal for less than £240 including the 50/1.4.

15. Barry Reid

Barry Reid Member

Now added a cheap standard zoom which should keep me happy while I sort out the nice primes we've been discussing!

16. alfbranch

alfbranch Well-Known Member

I have a 35-100 which is nice but there is also the 35-70 mm

17. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

OM4T_Web.jpg I'd second the vote for a 50mm f1.8 prime lens. Nice and sharp with a fast maximum aperture. The Zuiko 28mm f2.8 is a nice little optic as well and usually reasonably priced. I also have a 135mm f3.5 Zuiko which is again relatively cheap but optically excellent.I used to have an 85mm Zuiko years ago (now sold) which was an astounding performer optically but even back in the day was quite expensive and holds it's price well even today. Watch out for sticky aperture blades on the Zuiko's as they are now pretty old lenses and a few I have purchased have suffered from this fault though thankfully not many. Like yourself, I recently purchased an OM4T as I missed my OM4Ti so much from back in the day. Still a wonderful camera and if you ever need any Olympus camera repairs I can thoroughly recommend http://www.lutoncameras.co.uk/ who are outstanding and recently fully serviced an OM1N of mine and converted it to silver oxide battery use and recalibrated the meter for same.

BigWill

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  18. Barry Reid

Barry Reid Member

I think I'm officially hooked - The OM 4ti is so nice in the hand and now a second is on it's way so I'll have one in black and one in Champagne. Lenses - now at 24/2.8, 50/1.4, 100/2.8.

It's so serious I now plan to slim down my Contax/Yashica kit as i can't see me picking up a 159MM or Aria over the OM4.

19. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

A low cost addition would be a 135mm f3.5, another rather good Olympus prime. I paid £20 for mine.

20. andymcd

andymcd Well-Known Member

I know you said primes, but my favourite lens from the OM days was the 65-200/4. I used that for landscapes for years before I jumped ship to Nikon.

Congratulations on the OM-4 - I always wanted to own one but only managed to get to OM-1n and OM-2n before I crossed the line to Nikon.