1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which lens for a still life evening course?

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by Fulvio2, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Fulvio2

Fulvio2 New Member

I am attending a still life course next week and we are encouraged to bring our cameras, and as it happens I have access to a new one.

The office has just bought a Canon EOS 5D MKIV – someone passing through Dubai – which is a bit of an upgrade from our 350D ‘Rebel’ that was getting a bit tired.

While I am loving using my 35mm primes again – and full frame – they are not the fanciest:

Canon EF 28mm f2.8
    Canon EF 50mm f1.8 (two of these, one of which comes apart on occasions)
    Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
    Canon EF 135mm f/2.8

And that’s it.

But … I have loads of Pentax lenses and Canon adapters and could take along a manual Pentax SMS 50mm f1.4.

I need to do a bit of cruel surgery to it, to stop the Pentax protrusions blocking the 5D’s mirror. I am not sure I mind doing this, as I never had a real liking for the lens (I much preferred the cheaper SMC 50mm 1.7).

It was always too heavy and bulky on lovely old MXs (which – temporarily – now don’t work as the mirrors are gummed up).

I think the 1.4 would be fine on the Canon, which is big enough for it, and it could have many uses if adapted.

Which lens should I take for this evening? (I think 2 is enough).

Is it blasphemous to chop up a blameless `Pentax SMC 1.4 lens to adapt to Canon?
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Depends on how big it is and how much room there is but I'd suggest the 50 and the 85. Busting up a Pentax to use on a Canon seems pointless. Take a tripod.
    peterba likes this.
  3. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I agree with Pete's comments - re- the focal lengths, and about not busting the Pentax lens. :)

The 50mm f/1.8 and the 85mm f/1.8 are likely to be the most appropriate lenses for this type of photography. I have both of these lenses, and they have given nice results for this kind of work.
  4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Tripod and 50 or 85. Don't bother to screw up the Pentax lens. Composition and lighting will matter more than (possibly imagined) sharpness.

peterba likes this.
  5. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Even more "Yes!"!!