1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is the best online classes for learning photography?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by ramiro, Nov 15, 2011.

1. ramiro

ramiro Member

Which is the best online classes for learning photography? Whats the better option learning it online or assisting some professional photographer?

2. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

I would say neither.

You won't get to assist a pro until you have some proof that you know one end of a camera from the other and how everything works as well as knowing about aperture and shutter related stuff.

Online is probably a good place to find examples and tutorials for different types of photography, but nothing beats actually getting out there with a camera and a bunch of like minded people and taking photographs.

I would suggest looking at local colleges for part-time or short courses on photography. Not only will you have someone who can help and teach you the basics, but there will be others on the course in the same situation as yourself which may give you opportunities to go out shooting with them.

Also, AP has it's own courses as well - http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/spi/

3. lpts1

lpts1 New Member

I’m currently studying this distance learning course – http://www.inst.org/photography-courses/become.htm.

So far I’ve found it enjoyable and I’m finding my tutor a good source of information.

I think it depends on how you approach learning. If you’re very self-motivated and can work mainly in isolation, then online courses are a good option.

I hope you find what you're looking for :)

4. KarenS

KarenS Online Manager

Thanks for the plug Fen! We've just upgraded our new SPI photography couses site actually a few days ago so glad to have an opportunity to give it a mention: http://www.spi-photography-courses.com/

Would love any feedback anyone has!

Our courses are £299 for the longer ones or £79 for shorter more focused courses so they're a lot cheaper than that other company ;)

5. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

And you can buy Adobe Photoshop CS5 Extended for £250 including VAT!

6. Rushfan

Rushfan Well-Known Member

Get some inspiration - check out all the photographers (classic and contemporary) you can and find one you really like and might want to emulate. Then research what they shot and how - then have a go. A REAL go. You don't have to buy a 10x8 field camera to TRY to shoot like Ansel Adams or Edward Weston but you do have to know why they shot as they did before you've a hope of getting any results remotely similar.

If you get the chance to work with (or for) a pro, then that can be a good option but you'll end up making a lot of tea and coffee and sweeping up. So long as you're there to learn the art as well as being a dogsbody, that's fine - we all have to start somewhere. If you don't get to learn, then what's in it for you?

Once you've started to put a portfolio together, do the leg work. Get it in front of as many agencies / galleries and potential buyers as you can.

If you want to be a pro, then good luck as it must be a hell of a tough gig these days. I did some wedding and portrait shooting in the early 80's as a weekend and evenings "second string" to my chosen career. However, I didn't have the desire to be a full-time pro in those days.

7. ramiro

ramiro Member

Phew! been a while since I updated the post here!

Actually, I must admit - the bit about helping out a pro... I did kinda think "I should be so lucky!" (Nooo, I am not a kylie fan!)

Seriously though guys, thanks for your input. I contacted my local college, but to be honest, hummm, how can I be polite about this? I didn't like what they were offering, let's just say that!

I think I will stick to being in awe of the pro's, maybe enter some local contests? I did think about trying to send some photo's in to magazines or local papers, if I can get myself in the right place, at the right time (a friend of mine is a travel journalist, and recommended I start like that, to get known).

Anyway, thanks again guy!

Ramiro.

8. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

You can always upload some photos here, you would get lots of tips and tricks.

9. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

The real answer is that without knowing you no-one can tell you what the best way for you to learn is.

I don't agree with Fen, I think going out with a bunch of other photographers is a terrible idea. Too many photographers fall into the category of 'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing' and you;re as likely to pick up a load of misinformation and skewed ideas as you are to learn the genuinely useful stuff, basically because few photographers have been taught that themselves.

I find learning online an excellent way of discovering new techniques and inspiration. YouTube is the obvious first port of call, just search for what you're interested in. Be prepared for adenoid teenagers 'uhming' and 'ahing' their way through excruciatingly poor tutorials, but amidst all the dross are some real gems.

As for learning from a pro, why not? I took a young lad out with me on a pro shoot not that long ago. I didn't expect him to assist just let him come along, had a good chat about the business of photography on the drive to and from the shoot and let him just watch how I worked. If you don;t ask you'll never know, so look for some pro photographers in your local area whose work you really admire and contact them.

10. johnmathew

johnmathew New Member