1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which free software?

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by David Loxley, Nov 2, 2018.

1. David Loxley

David Loxley Well-Known Member

Has anyone used one of these?
    What opinion?
    Not pro. standard. I am still using film.
    From the d&p lab I get a c.d. approx. 18Mb. resolution.
    I do have a P.Shop 3 software disc (I am that old!)
    but it will not load into Win. 7 pro.

Canva.
    PicMonkey. ...
    Gimp. ...
    PhotoScape. ...
    Fotor. ...
    Pixlr Editor. ...
    Photo Editor by Aviary. ...
    Paint.NET.

Many thanks

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear David,

Few if any speak ill of Gimp.

Cheers,

R.

3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I love Paint.NET for quick file editing, some plugin effects, and adding text to images. It's powerful, but no-where near as powerful as GIMP.

GIMP is almost as powerful as Photoshop and if you can learn to drive it, it'll do you well, but the learning curve is like a cliff in my experience.

Try paint.net if it doesn't do what you need, give GIMP a go.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

But it's quite complicated.

5. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Indeed, as it has options and is useful.

6. Roger Hicks

Dear Pete,

True, but so is learning to read and write. Ask yourself whether it's worth it for you. For example I'm OK with Photoshop but have never learned HTML.

Cheers,

R.

7. Bipolar

Bipolar Well-Known Member

I use the gimp and am pleased with it. There is lots of help on line.

Bipolar

8. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Gimp is the go to free Editing software.
    However it does not yet do "Adjustment layers", which is a killer for me. but there are work arounds "Sort of"

9. David Loxley

Thank you all for your comments.
    I learned to use my early P.S 3. by '7-year-old-press-a-button-to see-what-happens'
    We have two internet channels B.T. is crap (genuine engineering analysis)
    Local wireless network work 'occasionally' like now.
    So either way download will be tiresome.
    Looks like GIMP or paint.net (or both)

Roger H. when I read your comment #2 a dim memory said that I have seen
    a previous post of yours extolling GIMP.
    If geriatric brain and I/net (0.13Mbps Up - BT) can cope I might make a picci-post.

Many Thanks Forum Members.

10. PeteRob

I run a back-up internet connection which is an EE mifi. It is a 3G/4G USB powered modem that can support up to 10 simultaneous devices. I swapped my phone contract to SIM only and added this with a 32GB a month data allowance for about £2 a month more than I was paying for the phone. If you have a good 3G or 4G phone signal they are worth looking at.

GIMP is a complete image processing package. It is available for Windows and Mac as well as Linux. Pictures posted here are best resized to 800 pixels longest side and generally come in at <200 kb so shouldn't be too much of a struggle even on a slow line.

11. William Parker

William Parker Well-Known Member

I will drink to that!

12. David Loxley

O.K. once again thank you for the 'heads-up' (although I am not a Jet Jockey)
    Just how complicated is "...quite complicated..."?

13. Roger Hicks

Dear David,

Depends on whether you are "quite clever" or "quite stupid"; "quite patient" or "quite impatient"; and "quite able to understand how programmers' minds work" or "normal".

Cheers,

R.

14. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Quite.

Good software should in my view by intuitive to use. I have no problem with Lightroom, Photoshop however I struggle with and they are produced by the same company but no doubt developed by different programmers.

David - I suggest you give GIMP a go. It may be complicated for some but may be simple for you. Do you shoot raw?

Roger Hicks likes this.
  15. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I suggest that you consider the software provided by your camera manufacturer.
    Nikon is much improved compared to the stuff that gained much criticism for many years. It is excellent for raw conversion and basic adjustments.
    I hear reasonable reports about Canon software. At a glance Digital Photo Professional 4.9.20.0 is way better than Zoom Browser that I installed when I bought a Canon S90.
    The Fuji software that I used with an X20 was a version of SilkyPix. That was ok.
    The Sony software that I installed when I bought an RX100m3, Image data converter was ok, and Play memories was weak.

In all these cases you get facilities to convert raw images making adjustments. You do not get creative (faking) facilities.

A low cost creative editor, perhaps to use in conjunction with a camera manufacturere's conversion software might be AffinityPhoto from Serif, presently for under £50. I have not tried it.

16. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

17. David Loxley

Loaded up GIMP. Seemed easy enough.
    Then I tried an image which needed rotating 90deg.
    Aspect ratio 2:1 horizontal. Actually our late departed ginger cat.
    It was sitting on top of a fence post. Camera 'on-end'

I rotated (then 'took off') The image came back as aspect ratio 1:1 and catto made Garfield seem quite slim.
    I tried to drag the image lower margin down to the correct aspect.

Cracked it -- I think.
    It is fiddly though. When having obtained the desired effect there is no O.K. button.
    <enter. or <esc.> sends the image back to square one.
    I'll crack the b####r yet!

18. PeteRob

I'm not near a computer with GIMP on but rotating a picture is pretty basic, it shouldn't involve cropping.

19. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

From top menu bar ... Image/Transform/(Flip Rotate etc)

20. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Check if there is an auto-crop option. Some software will automatically crop rotated images though not usually when rotated 90°.