1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which camera system to chose

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Jonty W, May 15, 2017.

1. Jonty W

Jonty W New Member

So, I happen to have some money to spend and want to change my entire kit, camera 5 lenses and 2 flash guns. Why? Because I have had enough of Pentax. Apart from the decreasing amount of 3rd party support (e.g. Sigma) and the fact that my nose always changes the WB setting accidentally I also find my K3 slow (focus and fps) and noisy (most lenses at not USM).

My main interests are macro work (insects), wild birds and fast jets at air shows, as well as general photography.

My choices seem to be:
    - Nikon D500. Pricey but with great autofocus and frame rate. Is it worth the extra?
    - Canon EOS 7D Mark II. Older and slightly less capable than the D500, but Canon have much better support for macro work and Canon are a bigger system and it is significantly less expensive.
    - Panasonic GH5 - a bit off the wall for me, but the specs sound great and would be more luggable. But would it keep up with a Eurofighter?

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Which feels best in your hands?

Cheers,

R.

3. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

Go into a photographic store and hold a few cameras and see how they feel, then go home and have a good think about the cameras that you have handled......then there is the question of lenses, I would hate to start buying again the choice now is so large and at the end of the day there are no bad cameras out there!

4. Roger Hicks

For a given value of "bad"... Can't say I fancy a Lubitel at 299€,

Cheers,

R.

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

you could look at Fuji X system. My only question would be the birds as their longest lens is a 400 mm although they are x1.5 crop and it takes a converter.

6. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

If you really are unhappy with your Pentax gear I know someone who might be able to make use of it:rolleyes: but only if you give it away as we aren't allowed to buy and sell here:)
    I think you may lose out on other things when you change brands, but that's just my two pennuth.

7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I would have doubts that a mirrorless would keep up with aircraft as well as a DSLR can, I have a Fuji mirrorless which when used for trains is usable but a bit slow, I certainly prefer a DSLR for that kind of work. I also find the optical viewfinder of a DSLR to be better in most situations.

The Canon or the Nikon? Both are excellent APS-C cameras, my preference is Nikon, but that is purely personal, there is a Nikon D7500 on the way apparently, using the same sensor as the D500 in a lower priced package, the body built to a similar standard to the D7200.

8. IvorCamera

Roger...There are a lot of Lubitels sold, but I cant say that I would fancy one though, but somebody must like them....

9. Roger Hicks

Yeah, but new at 299€? Aditi sold an as-new example a couple of weeks ago for 30€, which is rather closer to what most sane people might pay. I have two. Once cost me £3 and the other I was given...

Cheers,

R.

10. IvorCamera

I briefly remember using one (lubitel) many years ago as a one picture each member only in a camera club competition! and at 299 euro I wished I had kept the camera because I don't think anybody would have missed it! It would have sold easily on ebay....

11. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

When they first showed up in Britain they were really cheap - about £7. This made them the cheapest available TLR at the time.

12. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

I would recommend Canon if you are comfortable with them.
    I am a Nikon user, and always need to seek third party stuff for anything to be affordable. Nikon has some great gear, but I am envious of Canon's Macro abilities (that lens- you know the one, that goes from 1:1 down to seeing a flea's arthritic knuckles)

Canon seem refreshingly free with the SDKs and provide decent software themselves, meaning you are likely to be able to use macro tethered without being a contortionist.

Now if Nikon were to give me a D500 and a 400 2.8 I might think more kindly towards them, in which case I firmly recommend Nikon:)

13. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

From experience, mirrorless cameras just won't keep up with focussing on fast-moving objects. However from some recent on-line postings maybe the GH5 and EM-1-Mk-2 may be able to.
    I'd take the "better safe than sorry" route and go for with either Canon or Nikon. Try holding both makes of cameras, testing out the key functions that are important to you (eg manual focus, adjusting exposure compensation) and make your choice based on what you yourself like and dislike

Roger Hicks likes this.
  14. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Yeah, priced to sell, Roger, priced to sell.

15. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Alot of the mirrorless now have the same AF performance as dSLR since phased detect was built into the sensor. :)

Done airshow photography on mirrorless it fairly easy and got shots the same as dSLR shooters. Seen them at my society. :)

I am sure some have done wildlife shooting on mirrorless and we know from articles on AP that some sport shooters have mirrorless kit

Some dSLR user not comfortable with EVF instead of OVF. You need to try a GH5 out for that. :)

Seems Sony are in the lead in terms of sensor technology so they supply Nikon and Olympus now, plus their own SLT & E system.

I got a A58 which I have yet to try out on airshow stuff but it's AF seem quite snappy. :) Plus it being a SLT design has useful focusing feature.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  16. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

A nose changing WB is a good enough reason to change systems. Never managed it myself but maybe my nose is the wrong shape. For macro I think autofocus is unnecessary - even unwanted since the camera can't know the precise focal point required. It would be nice if Sigma were to make lenses in Kmount, definitely. But equipment isn't everything, it is possible to photograph wild birds with a Pentax:

[​IMG]

17. Loose_Canon

Loose_Canon Well-Known Member

I would suggest a canon 80D, the dual pixel sensor is perfect for macro live view. The Canon 100mm stablised macro is very good, The canon 100-400 is expensive but very good, whilst the cheaper new 70-300 is getting good reviews.