1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which camera insurance company please?

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Louise, Feb 16, 2017.

  1. Louise

    Louise Well-Known Member

    Beside's house insurance, can you please tell me which camera insurance company offers the best deals please?
  2. PeteRob

    PeteRob Well-Known Member

    I expect the premiums depend on various things so the only way to be sure is to get quotes. I have no idea if, for general ownership and use, the specialist policies are better value than house policy.

    Mine equipment is as named items in the "all-risks" section of the house policy. You remind me that I must update my cover as the cost of replacement has gone up a lot in the last months.
  3. MickLL

    MickLL Well-Known Member

    I agree and disagree !!

    I agree that the premium wil dpend on multiple factors and the perceived risk (and different companies will perceive the risk differently) so the only way is to get quotes and compare the T&C's to make sure that you are getting what you want.

    I disagree that the specialists offer better value. I have unfortunatley had two very significant claims over the past 20 years. Both were dealt with excellently and to my entire satisfaction. The first was with Glover and Howe (the specialist) and the second was my home insurer. The major difference was that my home insurer charged about half the G&H premium.

  4. Bazarchie

    Bazarchie Well-Known Member

    I would check what your home insurer offers. Depending on the value/ cost you may not need to separately list your camera equipment.
  5. K Kapoor

    K Kapoor Member

    I am sure american express has a service like that. I know it sound weird, but remember a photographer friend using them for camera insurance.
    Then there are these two sites that deal with gadget insurance in particular. I don't know their terms and conditions for a camera though. Cost factors or risks involved. But take a look at them anyway.
  6. LesleySM

    LesleySM Well-Known Member

    My contents insurer (Zurich) allow me to take up to £2k's worth of equipment out of the house and be covered against loss, damage etc. And their monthly charge is less than I was quoted by an specialist camera insurer just for my kit
  7. Louise

    Louise Well-Known Member

    Hi, I'm not allowed credit cards
  8. EightBitTony

    EightBitTony Well-Known Member

    I use https://www.photoguard.co.uk/

    I use them because it covers camera equipment when stored in the car, or, for example, in a hotel room. My home insurance wouldn't cover the cost of the camera equipment outside of the home.

    Basically, when looking for insurance, don't just look at specific photography cover, look at your general house cover, but don't exclude specific cover as well. It depends on how much gear you travel with and how you want it covered.

Share This Page