1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where's Best?

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by Steve52, May 27, 2007.

1. Steve52

Steve52 Well-Known Member

I'm deciding whether to go to the Lake District later in year (September/October). I wish to do some bird watching/photos and perhaps a few landscape photos as well(hopefully I've got a decent tripod by then).
    Any suggestions as to the best place(s) to go for this?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

you will be spoilt for choice if you go to the lakes.

around Windermere and Coniston are nice.

3. ian_in_lancs

ian_in_lancs Member

Easy access places are Tarn Hows, Langdales and blea tarn - places I return to again and again. Early or late in the day are best.

Further north the western road by Derwent water, honister pass and buttermere. Lots of options here, lakes, mountains and slate mine on the top of the pass. Head back to Keswick via the road that runs NE from Buttermere to Keswick.

Consider a day trip into the Yorkshire Dales, again full of opportunites, including Ribblehead viaduct on the ingleton - hawes road. A very different landscape to the lakes and quite challenging.

4. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

For bird watching try Leighton Moss. There's also plenty of sites around Morecambe Bay and St Bees Head on the West coast.

A copy of this book is really useful for information on how to get to sites, what birds are usualy seen and what facilities, such as hides, are there.

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Depends what birds you want to see - for Golden Eagles, for example, you need to get to Haweswater, but there aren't many accomodation options there.

6. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

I feel an attempted hijack comming on.......if you want eagles then you are wasting your time in the lake district...you need to come to Arran they are all over the shop...and when you come you can have a look at our live view hen harrier nest..4 fluffy chicks now...two eggs still to hatch....

Graeme

7. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Skye is none too shabby for eagles too....big sea eagles on at least one bit up the hills and golden eagle all over the place :cool: Arran is closer tho.... ;)

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Didn't see any eagles on Arran last year, but I did see some on Skye - too far away to know what kind, though (near the coral beach, FWIW).

Closest I've ever been to a wild eagle was in the Lake District, though - one flew straight over my head a few years back in Eskdale, no more than 20' above me. Made me jump!

9. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

But you camped in Lochranza??? They have urban eagles in Lochranza??? During the wildlife festival ran regular eagle watching sessions at the distillery...they saw eagles every time!!!??? Did you get out of your tent?

Graeme

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yiup, and hung around the distillery. Not one eagle.

11. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Gasp! Well, you'll need to come back!

Graeme

12. Steve52

Steve52 Well-Known Member

Probably saw loads of pink elephants!!

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Oddly not. Deer (!), seals, oystercatchers in abundance, but no eagles, and no pink elephants.