1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHERE WILL YOU SHOP NEXT?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Feb 12, 2008.

1. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

I stopped usiong WE because they started using CityLink who are worse than useless, but I ordered some ink from them again last week and they used Royal Mail. Hopefully thats permanent?

2. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Well, I'm very happy to report that Bass & Bligh did come to within £30 of the best non-voucher internet prices for the D300 plus they have me what I felt was a reasonable trade-in prices on two of my lenses.

They've also quoted me £1200 far the 70-200mm which isn't too fat off and I'm sure I could get them down enough on that one to get it there too.

3. mpr123

mpr123 Member

I am for real - just been away from the PC for a while.

I have just e-mailed the full saga to Steve Marley and have my itemised telephone bills and credit card statements to prove my numerous calls to the store and the fact my credit card company refunded me, not A J Purdy, despite Mr Marley's quote.

I look forward to his reply but am mainly just glad I have my money back and I stick with my original opening line on these forums:

"Definitely not A J Purdy...."

4. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Great, thanks for letting us know the progress. Keep us up to date with the AJP response.

5. APJ

APJ Active Member

Unfortunately I have recently had a very similar experience with AJ Purdy as mpr123. I ordered a rather expensive lens which AJ Purdy claimed would be with me within 7 to 10 days, they debited my credit card for the full amount and then I heard nothing. When I contacted them 7 days later they could not give me a delivery date for the lens.

Despite faxing them, they were poor at getting back to me and after 3 further calls and an exchange of e-mails they still could not quote a delivery time. At this point I cancelled my order and requested they refund my money to my card. They said they would do this but never did. A series of exchanges by e-mails and telephone followed and they gave three seperate assurances and stated dates of card refund. The refund never occured, they finally claimed their refund machine was broken. Daily phoning and e-mailing eventually resulted in a claim that a cheque had been put in the post, first class.

With over £2,500 at stake you can imagine I was getting quite concerned. A week later the cheque had not arrived (it never did) so they posted another cheque, this time guaranteed next day delivery. This cheque arrived the next day (thankfully) and took the usual 4 working days to clear before I could then clear the credit card account.

I think it is very poor practice to debit credit card accounts for the full amount when they do not have the item in stock, cannot guarantee when the item will be in stock or do not have the capability to refund credit cards promptly.

Overall a very bad service and I would NEVER use AJ Purdy again and advise others to be cautious too.

I have now returned to Warehouse Express who have always provided me with excellent service, have never debited my credit card card until they physically have the goods to dispatch and all my items have arrived on time the next day delivered by City Link.

I made the mistake of using AJ Purdy and will not that mistake again.

APJ

6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

It may be a local shop to me in Nottingham, chain or independant, or a shop local to people in Leeds which I visit often, or internet to a retailer who is a local shop to someone. It will not be a net dealer who only has a net presence (or PO address); they must have a proper physical location. Also it will not be some bloody foreigner not subject to mainland trading standards.
    I do not see IOM or channel islands any differently to HK or indeed Zimbabwe or Somalia; I wouldn't touch any of 'em with a bargepole. Of course I have not actually seen adverts from businesses in the latter two countries in AP but just mention them to give some idea of the disdain I feel to the other slightly dubious areas of the world with which I class them.

7. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

For MPR123

I received the following message from AJP today:

-- Original Message --
    Sent: 09 April 2008 10:09
    To: Bob Turner
    Subject: RE: Poor/Bad Service?

Hi Bob,

Have now received an email from this person and been able to trace his
    paperwork. There was an error at our end - everything points to the lens
    having been sent out to him but courier records prove it wasn't. We have
    no record of any of his calls (not saying he didn't call but we have no
    notes on his paperwork).

The post I put with no chargebacks is correct as although he says he has
    been refunded by MBNA we have not received any chargeback notification
    from Streamline relating to his order.

I have apologised and offered £100 worth of compensation as a gesture of
    goodwill and can only thank you for pointing this post out to me in the
    first place.

Had I been contacted in the first place or given the details sooner the
    whole thing could have been resolved the same day.

Thanks again.

Best regards
    Steve Marley - Director
    -- Ends --

AJP are holding up their hand on this one, even though the initial error lies with the courier.

8. mpr123

mpr123 Member

As posted by Bawbee earlier I can confirm I have received an apology from Steve Marley along with a partial explanation of what went wrong and an offer of compensation.

He mentioned that if I had contacted him earlier then this could have been resolved much quicker, even the same day. I had already given AJP many chances to refund me, including the mysterious cheque that never came, and by the time I posted to the forum I had lost all confidence in AJP. I had also signed and returned the claim form to MBNA by then as well and as I had much more confidence that they would resolve the matter I felt it only fair to leave them to complete what I had asked them to do.

As far as I concerned the matter is now closed.

9. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Honestly, I'm glad you got it all sorted, excellent result. :)